Guide to tutors (WIPEBUTT)

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by Kefo, Jul 24, 2021.

1. The Complete Guide to Tutors:

Or at least everything I could think of about tutors. Right up from the basics for players on day one up to tips for people who've been playing for many years.

The following paragraph are some basic tips that I consider the bare minimum that all players should follow when it comes to tutors.

\💲 Ask people to hire you until your hire value is over 1b for some fast $$💸
    \💲Volley new players to 1b. It can save them three days of saving on their own!
    \💲Hire 6+ tutors/day
    \💲To make ~2.5x as much money per hit, spend money on tutors, totalling 15M for every 1,000'cs (1k'cs') in your base stats / 15b for every 1M'cs'.

Tutors are one of the most important things on PIMD, if not THE most important thing. As such, many guides have been written about them in the past, and there is a lot to unpack with them!

I will try and put them all together in this rather long guide. Here are some old threads and then there is the table of contents.

A guide to tutor builds
    Tutor Trading Guide
    Guide to Tutor Prices
    Ultimate Tutor Trading Guide
    New tutor guide Update
    Brief Guide to Tutor Trading
    Tutor Etiquette

Tutors for beginners: First steps
    • Where to hire tutors?
      • Tutor hire list/Bazaar
      • Chats
      • Starter club
    • When to hire tutors?
      • At least 6x per day
    • Who to hire as tutors?
      • Any active players worth under 1b
      • Refer to the pricing guide or tutor bazaar if they cost more than 1b. But you are nornally aiming for underpriced or active tutors.
    • What do tutors do for you?
      • You make money when tutors are hired from you. You make 61/60ths of what you spent!
      • Tutors keep your money safe from hits
      • 2% of your tutors' base stats are added to your stats and they increase your chances of winning battles
      • Investing in tutors means you make more money from parties and pvp (Refer to Max Plunder)
    • What do you do for tutors?
      • You give them money. The amount increases as with their hire value but is unnecessarily capped at 1m per hire.
      • You can support them and help them upgrade if you like
    • Tutor Jargon
      • HV = Hire Value
      • Bump = Hire just a bit to increase hire value.
      • Volley = Hire back and forth rapidly with people
      • COH = Cash On Hand
      • Strip = Hire with the intention to remove armour in order to hit
      • Tb = Tutor Bonus
      • TS = Tutor Strip
      • FV = Force Volley
      • DVP = Drop Volley Profit, a method of trading pimdbucks using tutots.
      • UP and OP (referring to hire value) = Underpriced and Overpriced

Growing to love tutors:

More often than not, you will be spending your money to hire tutors. They are, after all, the second most beneficial thing to spend money on, behind your dorm tower.

This intermediate guide will address common problems that people have with tutors and how you can avoid those problems happening to you, and it will also discuss some styles of tutor management that proactive players use to improve their gameplay.

Common problems that people have with tutors

PROBLEM 1)🔖 Not fully understanding the Max 🔖 formula, and then falling behind in tutors when you upgrade.🔖

PROB1 SOLUTION A) To avoid remembering and calculating max plunder, do your own tests of it. What's the idea behind it? Spending more money, in total, on tutors will mean you make more money on pvp and parties.
    So why not do a test hit on a party or a farm, take note of how much momey you make, hire a tutor worth a significant amount, and see if that amount has changed?

As long as it keeps going up, you're not at your max.

PROB1 SOLUTION B) Hire one, super overpriced tutor that will be expensive enough for max plunder so you don't have to worry about losing it when you upgrade. Then just make sure to bump it so its hire value increases a few times prior to upgrading.

PROB1 SOLUTION C) This is the max plunder formula for those who think they can remember it, Plus a tip for helping to remember it.
    As you invest more PIMDbucks/cash into tutors, your plunder on pvp and parties increases. It increases gradually but then plateaus at an amount that is based on YOUR base stats and can be calculated by
    1st adding up your strength and intelligence, representing that as a rounded up number in the millions (Example 2.4m/5.8m = 9m) and
    2nd taking that number of millions (9) and multiplying it by 15b. It should feel somewhat expensive. It may take a few DAYS of saving to make up that much money but the good news is that you will be making about 2.5x more money per hit.

PROBLEM 2) 😬Getting stuck with an overpriced tutor that they don't want and nobody hires it🥚

PROB2 solutions summary:
    This can happen for many reasons, and by overcorrecting for all of them, you can drastically improve your tutor game.

Prevent - (mechanical)
    Prevent this from happening by a mechanical error (accidentally pressing the hire button) by scrolling the tutor bazaar with your left hand, away from the hire button.

Prevent - (bug)
    Don't trust your tired self. If you are in the bazaar, adding tutors' values, yourself... Double check before hiring that tutor could be 4kcs, not 4mcs. Check out their profile, investigate them. Are they active? Do they have a nice showcase or does it look like they are an alt?

Learn tutor prices -
    There are some outdated guides to tutor pricing because each time more dormies are released, people upgrade more and players have less money to spend on those upgraded tutors, and this happens every 1-2 years.

This following thing is nowhere near as gradual as the tutor market actually is but.

14cs-10kcs = 1b
    10kcs-1mcs = 1/10th stats (50b for 500kcs)
    1mcs-10mcs = 1/5th stats (1T for 5mcs)
    10mcs+ = frankly, I don't know but you should definitely look for yourself for tutors worth this much. Don't take other peoples' words for large investments like this. Check out the Bazaar.

Instead of following a guide, you should check the Bazaar and try to determine what sort of stats you can get for a tutor of a particular hire value. What's the average, and what's the max?

Turn the problem into an asset -
    An overpriced (OP) tut doesn't have to be a burden. An OP tut can be relied upon not to be hired. They can make sure you never run out of TB, and they can also provide some stats to you. But you won't get the benefit of the interest from them being hired from you.
    You might just need an overpriced tutor so don't be immediately upset. If you really don't want it, though, you can drop the tutor yourself and lose 43% of the cost, or you can give someone items so they will hire it off you.

Support your tutor so they can upgrade -

Is your OP tutor a newb? Do they have no tutors of their own? Are they inactive?

Add them and offer them some advice, friendship, or even items. They could just be on a break and it isn't the end of the world. Help out your little buddy and have faith in them. You could gain a friendship and a strong ally or supporter.

PROBLEM3) 🦝🍭Tutors keep getting hired!😡

Problem?! -
    You make money when tutors are hired from you. 1/60th profit 💹!

If you are very attached to a tutor and want to 'keep them', the best and often only strategy you can use in order to prevent that is to volley them to an average value, or even make them overpriced.

Responding to Spray hiring -
    Spray hiring is when people just hire a lot of your tutors rather than volleying them one at a time. This way, they force you to struggle to rehire them all. If you are willing to play ball and volley tutors, you can contact the people hiring and ask them to volley the tutor to a good price, offer to keep, and then that tutor won't be hired away

If you are slow -
    Hire tutors, defensively and deepen your relationship with them. Make friends with them, value them highly, and support them with upgrading. They can let you know when they upgrade so you can bump them at that time.

PROBLEM3) This tutor went inactive! or did something else, unexpected!

This became slightly less of a problem after dropping stats was removed from the game

Solution: Learn to support tutors
    Solution: Learn to read tutors

PUPIL STYLES -
    There are four main styles of pupils that you will encounter on the game who are combinations of the following.

Offensive and Defensive!
    Cool and Nurturing!
    [​IMG]
    Of course, you can also treat different tutors in different ways, for example, having some tutors you care a lot about, but then hiring the rest like fodder. This is a simple diagram.

Offensively and Defensively hiring tutors can refer to multiple styles in itself, too.

Defensive hiring may mean asking people very politely before hiring from them, asking tutors if they want to be your tutor, etc.

Offensive hiring may mean not asking for permission, hiring for stats, it may also mean going to players with good relationships with their tutors, and hiring the tutors even though they are technically above the market average, to test their pupil's dedication. The question being asked: Just how valuable are they to you?

Tutor-Pupil relationships

What do you owe your tutors? Abd what do they owe you?
    Well, this is a game, so they don't owe you anything that they haven't promised.

Some tutors expect things from their pupils, but of the pupil isn't being generous in the first place, this can just annoy them.

Talk to your tutors and pupils and ask them if they are willing to engage in any of these traditional bonding activities:
    • Can you be my Mentor?
    • Can I be your Apprentice?
    • I have some questions, can you give me advice?
    • Do you want to keep me?
    • I would like to keep you, so if you could tell me when you are about to upgrade, that would be really helpful so I can save some money to increase your hire value.
    • Am I underpriced or overpriced?
    • Do you want to be my friend?
    • Can you send me gifts occasionally?
    • Can you hire my tutors? I need help with upgrading.
    • Can we volley some tutors together?
    You cannot ever actually own a tutor. The hire button can always be pressed by any player with enough cash on hand. Getting too attached isn't necessary. You can be friends and mentors and send gifts or whatever else without being in a tut-pup relationship.

Hiring Etiquette -

When don't you have to ask for permission?
    Some people are more or less antsy about having their tutors hired. Most players believe in an open tutor market, hire tutors with the goal of them being hired away and making money, and are happy for you to press that hire button without a word spoken.

Someone has asked you not to hire their tutors
    If your goal is to hire Underpriced tutors for money, it is unlikely that you will accidentally hire someone's most prized tutor friend who they have a good relationship with because they will be well above the average tutor price.

But some players will claim that the tutor you hired is their "good friend" , or their "tutor for over a year". They may ask you, very insistently, not to hire THEIR underpriced tutor... But if a tutor is underpriced, and they can afford to bump it, they're not precious to them, and that is a lie. They are rude for bothering you and lying about it and that is considered to be bad Etiquette.

Having a good relationship with a tutor is one reason a player may ask you not to hire, that most people consider to be fair,
    The other good reason that most people support, but is more controversial is Strip-Farm War.

The person you hired a tutor from is in SFW

Strip-Farm War is a gloves-off war in which players intentionally, and to the best of their ability, try to destroy their opponent.

One of the most common and definitive signals/invocations that an SFW is on is called strip-farming which means Hiring a tutor or tutors and then hitting the person repeatedly to take their money.

Most conflicts are fought over resources, and the main resource fought over on PIMD is Tutor Bonus/TB which is the stats boost that you get from hiring tutors.

If you hire a tutor, and then farm someone, you prevent them from hiring that tutor back, and limit their ability to hire more tutors in the future.

When their tutors are hired/stripped, that means that any hits they receive will actually take money away from them. Recall that tutors protect your money and also increase your chance of winning battles (that is both offensive and defensive).

Most people in sfw's hit eachother around the clock in the hope that their underpriced tutors will be taken and that their fleshy parts (money) will be revealed.

Often, people in sfw will hire their opponents' tutors with alts or ask allies to hire tutors for them before hitting.

Furthermore, if they can't afford to hire back, it may take them a while to find a new tutor, and in that time they could be hit so they may actually think that you are intentionally assisting their enemies by hiring their tutors, and you could end up in sfw if the tutor is large enough. If you supported their club in the sfw, they would expect you to ask nicely if you could hire, or at least be considerate enough to forewarn them of the hiring so they can self pin and take the time to hire a new one, or ask them for a convenient time to be stripped so that they could use the funds from the strip to strip-farm their own opponents.

The average player can lend their support in a big way to any sfw by doing that back-door TS. Giving your favourite team funds when they need them...

Hiring tutors from people in sfw is a dangerous, highly political, and highly charged action and care should be taken not to end up in the naughty list.

BUT there are things that people in SFW can do to help themselves, as well.

I am in SFW and people keep hiring my tutors.

What I said in the last section was all true, and sometimes you may suspect players of double crossing... But how common is that? And are you just using that as an excuse? If you are in sfw and people keep hiring your tutors, what's the problem?!?

It is said that a side that is winning in sfw welcomes the hires. Hires, after all, mean more money and more strip funds to take over oppo's tuts.

The side that is losing is preoccupied with keeping tuts on hand at all times, are afraid of inc. at all times, and never know when to breathe.

Reflect on the Offensive and Defensive hiring of tutors mentioned earlier. If you are on the back foot and truly tired of having your tutors hired, you should hire a few very expensive tutors that will be hard to strip.
    If you are on the offensive in sfw, you should hire lots of Underpriced and cheap tutors that when hired can snowball into more. You aren't getting much inc so you're going to profit.

Crying about your UP tutors being taken and hitting randoms makes you seem like you are losing and makes you seem scared because you take it out on innocent players and waste hits and attention on them, and that make your club look weak.
    Or makes you seem dumb because you just think if ur in sfw nobody should hire your tuts and you don't know how to turn that into a positive. That also reflects poorly on your club.

If you don't wear a club tag that is recognized as being in sfw, hire UP tutors, don't have anything in your status about sfw, and hang out in FCC, you look like a flash newb. Okay?
    That isn't what sfw looks like. That isn't what someone who gives a 🤎 about their tutors being taken looks like. Don't be surprised if they come and take without a word.

Put up some signs and people will hire your tutors less. Club tags aren't just for fashion.

Luckily, even the successful clubs wear that uniform so you have plausible deniability that you're scared and weak thanks to them.

Force Volley Squads 🍭❤️

Some people just like to hoard tutors. Really nice and cheap ones and you see them and all of the potential money that can be made from volleying their tutors that they haven't taken advantage of and you just want to volley them yourself.
    But they are painfully slow at hiring. They hire back slowly to see if they can tire you out and still keep their tutor underpriced.

Never fear. All you need is an FV squad!
    They could be your Relationship, club (how many SFW clubs initially started) or, these days, a PIMD group chat. Ask some of your friends if they want free hires and add them to a gc. Drop names and volley those tutors together to your heart's content.

[​IMG]

Spray hiring - 🌊🌦️

Probably the most annoying and rudest forms of hiring tutors behind Strip-farming, Spray hiring means rather than hiring individual tutors, going to someone's profile, going into their tutor list, and then hiring all of the tutors you want one at a time, and as they hire back, hiring them back one at a time instead of focusing on one and volleying it to a good value and then moving on.

This strategy is incredibly time consuming, ineffective, and annoying and is condemned by most players. You are liable to be farmed if you do this.
    If someone does this to you, the best ways to respond are either hitting them or calling on the assistance of an FV squad and volleying the tutors yourself one by one.

Advanced Tutor Guide: The road to Mastery

Part 1) Selecting your crown tutors:

There are some traits you need to look out for.
    1. Apart from the obvious, cash cows who have terrible self control and spend too much money on this app are always popular because they can be relied on to grow.
    2. Players who are knowledgeable and driven. Unlikely to lose all their money are good, too.
    3. Players who don't rock the boat and have a very boring time on PIMD are also good, although not very fun.
    4. Having sexy or otherwise popular tutors is also very appealing to many players because stats aren't everything.
    5. Old school legends fall into this category, there are points for style.
    6. Most important, though, is looking at their build. Having tutors that are the same build as you means that you maximize your effective TB. If you are strength build, it is best to have strength built tutors.
    Once you have your jewels

Mastering Tutors means learning to trade them like a pro. Kings and Queens of DVP are a protected class. Saving up the money they do for volleys means that any hits they take are extremely devastating.

Having trillions of pimd bucks out means you need significant diplomatic protections and allies to keep you safe.

Those players are very beneficial resources and regarded highly by other players, especially VIP's for the resources they command and manage.

Dvp
    Arse's Guide to Drop Volley Profit
    CatLady's Drop Volley Guide

It is kind of complicated so please check out these threads.

Dropping tutors - 60%
    Ts
    The relationship between DVP and TS
    Repeatability of TS

Picking your main tutors.

Tutors and war - attack and defend.

TB and MB

Dianyx, Lite, Victoria and 6 others like this.
  2. Wallah... Awasome.. nice informations.🤜🤛

Kefo likes this.
  3. You didnt mention the tutor max or why hiring 6 tutors a day is a good idea, which .... i dont think it is

also if youre making a tutor guide i feel like you should atleast provide a rough guide of pricing over 10mcs, that is what a guide is for after all

• Honestly Tru thinks all the guides on here are corny but I do admit I could follow this one and I actually applied it to the game play.
    • Tru votes better guides and less lame nitpicking from Mods in 2021.
    • Have a great day : (

4. You're a broke ass fool if you ain't hiring 6 tuts a day.

Support

5. Lol it would be great if a VIP was hiring tutors worth too little and ended up reaching cap by accident and that somehow negatively impacted them 😬

I would be very happy if I could help make that come to pass 🐸 I will post about the cap but in a very tiny font and bery faint😂

6. What is the benefit of hiring specifically 6 tutors a day, though? Would it not be quality > quantity?

7. Nah quantity is the name of the game. Tut trading is the fastest way to make cash. You don't wanna tie all your cash up in one tut if you're flipping them. 6 is like bare minimum, I've hired hundreds in a day.

Muschi likes this.
  8. That makes sense for the profit turning, especially if you're smaller stated. Sometimes I buy obvi UP tuts b/c I know they'll get rehired.

LetsGoBrandon likes this.
  9. I keep telling people that tutor trading is the best way to make money but no one listens 😔

LetsGoBrandon likes this.
  10. Also just to practice. People prefer not to hire any tutors and then when they do it, they suck at it. Hire 6/day and you'll start spotting quality ones, learning to discern things better, and just see more of the tutor market. You'll go down rabbit holes and stuff.

Even if ppl want to hire 6, 1k tuts at first, they will quickly grow out of it.

LetsGoBrandon and Muschi like this.
  11. when rob came back briefly, he hired 1k tuts and ended up with over 1mcs in tuts

Muschi likes this.
  12. Yeah, a looooot of players are overly possessive of shitty tutors because they don't know better and are afraid to step out of their comfort zone.

Kelsey2093, Kefo and LetsGoBrandon like this.
  13. I think people act this way because they didn't come up in the game when people talked about strategies, game mechanics, and tactics all the time....like...that's 90% of what we used to discuss here. Now it's all cute items and rp.

Trixie and Muschi like this.
  14. I didn't realize this was a guide for VIP players, my b

15. Yeah, I definitely agree it's a culture problem more than an individual problem. Although some individuals sure do act like its personal. 🥲

16. how do i know how much my tutor should cost?
    For example if i had someone with 700kcs, how would i know if they are underpriced or not

17. 14cs-10kcs = 1b
    10kcs-1mcs = 1/10th stats (50b for 500kcs)
    1mcs-10mcs = 1/5th stats (1T for 5mcs)

About 70-100b for a 700kcs tut

Check the tutor marketplace and find a hire value where 700kcs seems to be the average stats.

Muschi and LokisGloriousPurpose like this.
  18. If I'm hiring for max plunder bonus only should I hire multiple tutors or will it still work if I buy 1 tutor with high enough value to give me mpb?

Kefo likes this.