Guide to New Forums (JULY)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Kefo, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Today is the 28th of July, a month since the update on 28th June 2019...
    A.T.A have been refining forums a little bit since the last update for better and also sadly, worse. Everything still looks different. This thread will help you navigate the new format and to provide commentary on their updates. We are still discovering new features and, overall, I'd like to say that the changes are positive and worth getting with.

All struck out text in this thread are things that were present at the update, but no linger apply.

To save from clutter, I'm not using too many ss in this thread, so you may have to look around for yourself and orient yourselves.

FAQ:

Q1- Where's "active topics?"
    A1- If you're on the home screen, viewing threads, or searching around forums, close to the top of your screen, there should be a "New posts" button. New posts is the same as the old active topics section.

Q2 - How do I make a thread? (or poll)
    A2 - same as before; go to any topic section, and press the big, orange "Post New Thread" button.
    (You can attach a poll to a thread or post a poll on its own from the thread creation menu)

Q3 - What' up with the profile pic?
    A3 - We haven't found a way to update it yet so we assume it isn't a feature yet, but the devs have profile pics so it might come soon in an update.

Small thing that you might want to know.

You can minimize the forum sections on your forums homescreen. This helps to keep things neat.

[​IMG]

๐Ÿ˜”Features LOST๐Ÿ˜’:

• Stats code
    Code:
    [stats]strength/intelligence[/stats]
    This was used to show item, avatar, and build stats

• Decent forumojis:
    The new ones are far fewer and much uglier.

• Privacy (has settings)
    You may wish to keep private some of the new information displayed, automatically, about you in forums. To do this, you can check your privacy settings. (located in the menu opened by pressing on your profile icon)
    JULY UPDATE:: Slightly better with removal of forum profiles (read conclusion o this thread for more info), but you may still wish to use the settings to appear offline at all times.

๐Ÿ˜€Features GAINED๐Ÿ˜:

• Quick access bars:
    Accessed by pressing "Menu", and your profile icon.
    • Easier BB coding. With rich text editor
    • Complete, official BB coding guide. In the HELP section, accessed at the bottom of forums.
    [​IMG]
    • Saving posts. With rich text editor; manual and autosaves.
    • BB code previews when using the rich text editor, you can see if your BB codes will work and roughly how your post will look.
    • Fonts.
    • Likes. To show appreciation and admiration๐Ÿ˜Šโค
    • "Notable Members". Leaderboards for post count and likes
    • Forum profiles. to follow or ignore, can be accessed by pressing on someone's avatar icon
    • Following. allows you to see peoples' posting activity. To follow someone, go to the quick access bar and select "people you follow" and type in the names of those you wish to follow
    • Ignoring. allows you to not see their posts.
      To ignore someone, go to the quick access bar and select "people you ignore" and type in the names of those you wish to ignore
    • News feed. shows activity of people followed
    • Alerts
    One of the bigger new additions to forums. You can get alerts when you're quoted, @'d, your posts are liked, someone posts in a thread you're watching, and maybe more. You can edit what you get alerts for in the "alert preferences" menu.
    • Watching/unwatching threads
    Once you are viewing a thread, you can look between the title and first post to find this option. Simply press on it to toggle watching on or off.
    • Easy access to thread URL's
    Accessed by pressing the post number (bottom right) of a post, you can copy the url to that post in multiple formats (has bonus automatic anchoring)
    • Account management. Password, timezone, email change under profile icon Quick access bar
    • @'ing people. People may get alerts when @'d if their alert preferences allow it. To @ someone, press the @ button and start typing their name with no break e.g. @Apple
    • Zoom
    • Auto-Scroll
    • Automatic location of post in thread ๐Ÿ˜
    if you have searched for a post in forums, when you press it, it automatically opens the thread to the right page on the right post, rather than the first page of thread as it used to.
    • Shmexy "code" code for code :ugeek:s
    Code:
     [b] apple [/b] 
    apple

Things that are BROKEN:...

๐Ÿ˜คBROKEN!!!๐Ÿ˜ฃ
    • URL's
    Links to old threads in forums lead to 404 errors!
    • Images
    Many old images are impossible to see
    • Stats code
    Since this has been removed or forgotten, the old stats codes are broken. Bring this back.
    • Up arrow on quotes
    For some devices, while a great new addition, the green arrow on quoted texts suggests that pressing it should take you to the quoted post, but pressing it does nothing for those using some devices.

Things that are just different:

• Search feature
    The search menu is interesting. Simpler than it was before and more accessible (having a quick search bar at the top of the screen). The advanced search has had some less useful search parameters/criteria removed, and some more useful ones added. But it also contains some completely redundant options
    • What happens to viewed posts
    "I was just reading a thread, and when I backed out of it, I couldn't find it..."
    Instead of going that feint purple color that threads used to, now when posts have been read, they disappear from the New Posts section.
    In order to view them again, you can search for them, have them bumped, or press "recent posts"(refer to image below). The threads you've read will appear without a blue dot.
    Also if you press "mark forums read" (refer to image below), the new posts section will be completely empty until posts get bumped... Pressing "recent posts" again will bring them all back without the blue dot.

[​IMG]

๐Ÿ˜ฎThings that are mysterious or weird... Why did they do that?๐Ÿ˜ต

• Profile pics
    Not yet, friends... The devs have them, and players are allowed them on KoH... We believe it is just a matter of time until we can set our own.
    July Update:: A.T.A removed the old profiles that could be accessed by pressing on this image and now it just links directly to their PIMD profile, suggesting that this may never be a feature
    • Conversations
    not yet, friends?... Have a look at these yourselves. What would this even be when you can wall/pm people on pimd anyway? Do we need forum pm's, too?
    These seem even less likely than profile pics.

• Profile posts and statuses
    these are mentioned in the alerts preferences, but I have no idea what they are.

[​IMG]

They just remind me of our pimd wall but we already get notifications for that outside of forums, and with the settings on, we still don't get alerts for wall posts... So this probably won't be a thing.

• "watching forums"
    (Maybe I just don't see this being used) This is different to watched threads. By selecting a forum section, you can press "watch forum" to be alerted when a new thread is posted to the forum.

• So much space between posts... And the frames are unnecessarily large. we don't need this much space

• (Minor bug) The locations of autoscroller and zoom buttons
    Because the zoom icon covers the bottom of the scroll bar, I can usually only scroll up in threads. Perhaps they wouldn't overlap if you have a larger screen but they could be further apart so they don't overlap, allowing for full functionality.

~~~~~~~That concludes this rushed guide. It is a bit brief. If there are any other questions, new info, or things I missed, plz post below! I wish you all luck in adjusting to, (fixing), learning, and navigating the new changes to forums. The positives far outweigh the negatives. And I'm very excited. But we just have to figure it out.

UPDATE CONCLUSION:: Things have been trimmed and taken away since the last update. I really liked being able to link threads from within forums and the removal of that feature was a major drawback.
    The removal of forum profiles means we can no longer see when people were last active which could be used to gain predictions of peoples' sleep patterns in sfw, but it also made following and ignoring players harder to do and makes it seem less likely that we'll have forum profile pics.

As before, and always. If I've missed anything, got anything wrong, etc., please comment ๏ฟผ:D

2. ๐Ÿ—ฃ I'm tired of these god damn empty profile pics.

GodTierOni, Nate, Stephy and 5 others like this.
  3. Iโ€™m still mad that they took away our unlimited editing time

Nate, Buwbuw, MiniMinx and 1 other person like this.
  4. I've only had it up to 5 minutes to edit for before and after the update. When was it unlimited?

5. Iโ€™m mad that Iโ€™m mad

6. It was unlimited for a few days after the update and then randomly it went back down to 5 min

Buwbuw, MiniMinx and GodTierOni like this.
  7. Longest I saw was when Day tested it and could edit it for 10 minutes :') unlimited is too much imo

8. Other thing. It might be my phone glitching but when someone posts a gif or a photo I sometimes accidentally click on it and then it'll enlarge on my phone and idk how to minimize it without exiting the entire thread which can be annoying. the magnifying glass that should minimize it doesn't for me. Does anyone else have this problem?

Bamby and Brea_ like this.
  9. I love the mega zoom feature. I can usually just press on it to make it go small again, press outside to make it go small. I'll do a small test here. Have you tried those things? You probably have and that would be a very annoying thing to not have work :/

Edit: pressing on it again made it go smol. Pressing outside and pressing back did other things.
    [​IMG]

10. Yeah, still doesn't work for me. it's probably just my phone glitching then if no one else has the issue :c o wells

11. I was able to edit a post I had made 3 days before the update.

Buwbuw, MiniMinx and GodTierOni like this.
  12. What website is used to post picture urls?

13. I use imgur. It seems to be more compatible than other sites.

Tokyo likes this.
  14. I don't like that they removed the forum profiles. Idk see a good reason why they would remove it entirely; maybe remove a certain section of it, like the profile pic or the online status... but I liked being able to tap it to view post count / like count. I don't like that those things are entirely hidden now unless you place on the forums leaderboard.

Maddi_Matsu, AmethystNight and Kefo like this.

15. I guess I was away for too long. There's a forum leaderboard now? I'm bummed I can't look at forum profiles now what the heck. Why do they do this?

Muschi likes this.
  16. Yeah, the leaderboard shows the users with the highest post counts and the highest amount of likes. You can view it by tapping on "Menu" and "Members", then "Notable Members".

17. we need a guide for @Trendsetting to get his life together he pays someone to take a photo of hi and he's too scared to look at the camera.. maybe it's cause his beard isn't connected..his chest looks like a bunch of ants are crawling on it...his beard looks like he spilled oil onto it.. throw the whole dude away... he's got a rat in head.. jaco.. this aint it.. i'mma pray you solve your issues.

18. Look how desperate he is. And y'all refuse to silence him or ban him just cause he's not straight

@Manic

19. Bitch๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š