Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NurseBecky, Jun 26, 2020.

1. The line is Hispanic people, Latinos and white people and other non black races saying "nigga" then acting surprised when they're waking up with paramedics around them

WhoTfIsWesday and Muschi like this.
  2. Eh, to be hella simple. I think as long as you really appreciate the culture, know about the culture, respect the culture and just do it in way that shows respect, acknowledgement towards the culture you should generally be in the okay. Or if SOMEONE from that culture sells the item to you, it should generally be okay, ye boii let capitalism do yo bidding. 🤔

3. Lmfaooo

4. I think it should be solely up to that specific culture to decide what’s appropriate and what’s not. What “going too far is” and what not.

WhoTfIsWesday and Muschi like this.
  5. I agree, but I think it becomes difficult to discern sometimes because not everyone from within each culture will agree on it either. So it's good to come up with some general rules-of-thumb.

Carrie and Maddi_Matsu like this.
  6. I don't consider food a thing you can culturally appropriation. Food needs to be adjusted when it's sold in different countries for the tastebuds of the ppl who live there. Literally any country you go to will have some bastardized version of the food you're used to if they bother w the whole diversity thing. Korean ppl fill their pizza crust w sweet potato.
    Anything w religious origins though or clothing with significant meaning or items that are held to be important I don't think should be used by ppl of different cultures unless given the okay or they're doing it properly.

Byte likes this.
  7. I don't think anyone should be pocahontas for Halloween because that story is disgusting

Muschi likes this.
  8. The actual story is yes

Phobia likes this.
  9. And that's what it's based off of. I wouldn't be mean to a kid for dressing as pocahontas but I'd be giving their parents the side eye cuz wtf you're the one who bought the costume

Muschi likes this.
  10. Agreed. I also don’t think having a general agreement with an entire culture is even possible. People are just too different. I think it ends up coming down to the specific people you are with. If I have friends from a specific culture and they apropriate some of the things I do related to their culture, I wouldn’t do those same things with other people of the same culture, unless I knew they were okay with it. I don’t know that’s just my opinion.

Muschi likes this.
  11. But at the same time a kids not gonna understand that. And in the kids mind they aren’t dressing up like a real person they’re dressing up like their favorite character from a movie 🤷🏻‍♀️

Maddi_Matsu likes this.
  12. Why do you assume kids are stupid? If their parent explains to them, they'll understand. If kids are ignorant it's because their parents don't teach them. You're also capable of just saying "no."

Carrie and Muschi like this.
  13. Lol I’m not assuming kids are stupid, but I am saying that a 4 yr old isn’t going to understand why they can’t dress up like their favorite tv character. And when it comes to something as trivial as dressing up for Halloween I wouldn’t tell my kid no they can’t be that person. There’s bigger things that hold much more importance and that falls pretty low on the list

Maddi_Matsu likes this.
  14. Maybe to you. I don't expect much from white ppl so whatevs

15. Oh 😂👏🏼

16. I think people get offended over things too easily, even when not needed, or just over exaggerate things so it becomes a big deal. Life ain’t that serious

LeeJarrett and NurseBecky like this.
  17. That’s how I feel, but I’ve also found that the majority of people don’t feel that way 😂 i think everyone would be a lot happier if they just stopped giving a fuck about trivial bullshit. But I guess not giving a fuck makes me the bad guy 🤷🏻‍♀️ but I don’t give a fuck about that either so

LeeJarrett and Maddi_Matsu like this.
  18. Wouldn’t it have been easier to just say anyone who isn’t black? Lol

Maddi_Matsu likes this.
  19. Also, Hispanic is technically not a race.

Muschi likes this.
  20. You sound like you'd be mad offended if a kid wants to dress up as Moana.