Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NurseBecky, Jun 26, 2020.

1. I feel like Halloween is great example of this so I’m gonna use that to explain:
    In my opinion, if you want to dress as a person or character that happens to be of another culture than yours and you do it respectfully (no darker foundation for example) then I don’t see an issue.
    The issue comes from when youre dressing up as a race- for example if you buy costumes that aren’t of a soecific person but things like “Native American Girl” costume or “Mexican Man” costume, etc.

In a more everyday example, I think it’s best to not wear items that are known universally as sacred to another culture. I’m Native American and headdresses and “tribal” face paint/makeup are a no-go for me. Both of those things are earned within a tribe and it’s very defacing to wear it when it wasn’t given to you by an elder in a tribe.
    Again that’s specifically for me though, everyone has different views of what’s offensive to them, if you want a safe bet I just wouldn’t wear another cultures items because you never know.

Hope this helps a bit!

Muschi likes this.
  2. Im gonna bust a lung 💀

3. I think the reason you get made out as a “bad guy” is because that mindset can lead to more issues. If we ignore everything that comes off as offensive and we stopped giving a fuck about offending people, we wont be happier, we’ll just be more selfish and disrespectful
    you can be happy and relaxed and also be able to voice when something is upsetting, that’s how we educate and that’s how we can make a more accepting community (not calling you a bad guy btw, just giving insight)

Muschi likes this.
  4. I’m not sure how you got the idea that I’d be someone who was offended by my posts lol my kids favorite movie is moana actually, we watch it 2-3 times a day 😑 I’m trying to understand what it is that offends other people

Maddi_Matsu likes this.
  5. I may have worded my response poorly, I didn’t mean we should all say fuck it and not care if we do something offensive. I meant not giving a fuck as in not taking offense to certain things that, when looking at the big picture, are irrelevant. Like I’ll use the Native American tribal paint and headdresses as an example. I agree that dressing up as a race opposed to a specific person is a no no. So in that case I think if someone of Native American decent saw someone dressed up in things that that culture considers important, it would make more sense to either ignore it, or explain what those things are and how the that culture views them. Because I don’t think most people do it in a way that they mean harm, or that they’re intentionally trying to offend someone. So I feel like getting angry or upset about something that wasn’t done intentionally is silly. Not only that, but even if it is something that gets under your skin, it’s not always something that’s going to effect your life in any way. And in those circumstances getting upset and offended by it only does more to stress you out. I hope that made more sense the way I said it than before

6. I think sometimes a lot of the frustration that is sometimes relayed from people of color is because it can be mentally taxing to repeatedly educate people on a topic that affects you negatively. Not to mention when people get aggressively defensive or blow you off about it. It's like working a customer service job that you can't afford to quit, and you never know who is going to be a Karen and who isn't when you explain to them that something is out of stock or can't be returned without a receipt.

Maddi_Matsu and Phobia like this.
  7. Did you mean to reply to me since I'm the one who isn't cool w pocahontas costumes? Pocahontas is a real person who was abused and taken advantage of and Moana is fictional...

Maddi_Matsu, Muschi and Phobia like this.
  8. But her Samoan race is very real so going off your arguments I can kinda see their train of thought.

WhoTfIsWesday likes this.
  9. I go to the museum or the yogurt section for my cultures

Maddi_Matsu likes this.
  10. That's true. I'm also not the biggest fan as dressing as a race ig. Maybe I'm sensitive but that's my thought 🤷‍♀️ I would never say anything about someone dressed as moana on halloween tho since I'm not samoan and I don't want to speak for them so I'd just feel weird about it inside my head.

Maddi_Matsu likes this.
  11. On-topic-ish question tho. I bought these cute af tshirts for my nephew, who is noticeably brown so no one will comment (for anyone who cannot tell, these are dr Seuss puns using indigenous culture) but I look at these now and I wonder how ppl would feel if a white toddler were to walk around in these shirts. The company that made them is indigenous and they typically make stuff aimed at other indigenous ppl but I kinda think it would be cool if other ppl bought their stuff but I feel like ppl might be scared to wear it for fear of being insensitive or smthing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 1st off- love these
    2nd - I truly don’t think a white person (for example) would buy this in the first place because they'd probably be confused, I think the only reason they would buy them is if they weren’t familiar with Dr Seuss- I’m not positive if it’s cultural appropriation at least for the first one- maybe they just really like that food??? but it would definitely be off and odd

13. Let's just all agree that Halloween is a satanic holiday and just stay home that day.

14. Nah

15. Satanic holidays are my fav

16. nahhh- satanic days >>>>> any other days

Maddi_Matsu likes this.
  17. But... candy 🥺

18. We can all survive without a pillowcase of mini chocolates and chips that cost like $20 total

LetsGoBrandon likes this.
  19. Honestly nobody eats the candy we already have. I just keep recycling it. Labor day parade candy? Well it's Christmas now and nobody's touched it so it's going in the bottom of your stockings so you remember you have it. Valentine's Day candy from school? Nobody eats it so I use that in Easter eggs.

Then baseball season starts and I give it all away to the kids at the field and we begin our candy collection again for the year.

💁‍♀️I have a system. Halloween candy is unwelcome in my house. It'd mess up my recycling program.

20. I stopped trick-or-treating a few years ago. But now... the day-after Halloween sale at grocery stores (at least here) is pretty good. Slightly picked over, but I do love me a sale. I lub candy okie. 🥺
    Julie... I think your children are broken.
    Send me the candy next time kthx

Maddi_Matsu likes this.