Classical spinner items history and price guide

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by Kefo, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Classical spinner items (pre-November 2016)

Timeline of the spinner series (tap it to expand it)
    [​IMG]
    made for free at https://time.graphics/editor

Classical spinner sets are those which predate a time when the sets all follow the same release schedule, are all the same stats, and had equivalent drop rates.

Classical spinners were experiments for A.T.A but they eventually settled on a final format which became default for all sets that came after. The variations made them fun and exciting, and never felt like characterless reskins, which newer sets are in comparison.

A phenomenon which was obvious but unexamined in the earlier hunt sets was that sets end up being worth less than the components which make it because as long as they are worth less, people will be able to buy components and then sell the set for profit, and this process will continue as long as it is still profitable, but as it happens, the components become rarer and therefore worth more, and the sets become more common thus become less valuable, and an equilibrium point is often met however not many players know where that equilibrium point is, and continue combining sets, pushing the imbalance further in the only way it can go.

In the community, many people have ideas about what spinner sets should be worth based on more recent ones however I believe that if more people become aware of the variety that exists, and the story that spinners can paint, along with how cute and iconic some are, there may be more interest and prices will rise. I’ve seen the prices of many sets double since the start of 2020.

The Spinner Debuted on July 23, 2015
    ---
    ---
    The release of the Launch PIMDinis
    Available from 1/sep/2015 to present
    Made from 10x 4 parts.

[​IMG]

Bentos are spinner sets made from PIMDinis or “chibis”, colloquially.

The launch PIMDinis are the Chibi Cheerleader PIMDini, Chibi Athlete PIMDini, Chibi bro PIMDini, and Chibi mgmt. student PIMDini.

Chibi is a Japanese adjective meaning short but is often used to describe miniatures or characters drawn in a “chibi style” which are extremely short and chubby with stubby limbs and a gargantuan heads like babies.

PIMDini is short for PIMD mini, referring to miniaturised or chibified avatars.

While bentos and chibis are the currency that most things are compared to, they can be evaluated in terms of older currencies; tutor strips (TS) and drop volley profit (DVP) which are two ways of trading PIMD bucks/cash.

A launch bento is worth 400b ts or 80b dvp
    A launch PIMDini is worth 10b ts or 2b dvp
    A launch bento is also worth 40c.

These parts or components for the bento were accompanied by collectibles that do not combine into anything.
    Crackers and Goldfish = ½-1c
    Capsule Piglet = 2-4c

Goblet of Fireball
    Available from 10-22/SEPTEMBER/2015
    Made of 5x 4 parts

[​IMG]

Spinner sets currently coincide with months and last the entire month. Some thematically match a season or other current events however this one was made to be a part of the hunt at the time.

The goblet of fireball and this set matched the theme of the hunt and you were not finished with the hunt unless you also collected the spinner items.
    (unique feature 1)/ This was the first and last time the developers did this, but it was so cool!
    (unique feature 2)/ This is also the only spinner set with accompanying items like bentos, which are not bentos.
    (Unique feature 3)/ This was the most on-the-nose/obviously themed spinner set. No other sets are as closely identifiable with a franchise or character or anything else. Many of the others are just some generic cute animal but this is clearly Harry Potter.

(Bingo Bango 1 big market identified!) / Because it is Harry Potter themed, and the rings are basically memorabilia for the Hogwarts houses and there are many people who identify with those houses, there is a massive market of fans who are interested in these items!
    (Unique Feature, 4)/ It is unique in its stats. No other items in game have the stats of the rings or the combined set

This set is epic. For years nobody really thought much of it, and its unique features didn’t matter but I once decided to try and sell off my entire collection. I had noticed how the flopsy bunny was doing and what it was selling for (a spinner item that will be mentioned later in this thread), and figured I’d give these a shot and I quickly discovered that people were paying lots for them.

Equivalent 20-30-40c. One time someone offered to pay 2 bentos for one but that was an outlier. I took offers and increased my prices with them and discovered a huge appetite.
    Many people had never seen them and today they are relatively rare.
    They are among a few crown jewels of a complete spinner collection.

As a game while trying to sell these rings, I conducted a poll on my wall of what houses people identified with, and then offered to sell them the rings, taking prices and offering what people were offering, and it was clear that there were 2 minor and 2 major houses whose rings could sell for more. From this process, I settled on these prices.

Goblet of Fireball = 5-6o

Hufflebluff ring = 25c
    Navyclaw Ring = 30c
    Gryffindorm Ring = 40-45c
    Sleazerin Ring = 50c

These prices were 10x what I initially thought they were worth and what the market generally agreed on so take it with a pinch of salt. Perhaps if people start selling them more they will drop, but I doubt they will drop under half.
    So say 12c huff, 15c navy, 20c gryff, 25c sleaz are minimum prices!

What about the unique and special accompaniments? Never had too many to play with but they have always been quite valuable.

(100kcs) Mirror of Desire = 5-6o
    (10kcs) Flatscreen Painting = 10c
    (1kcs) House Spirit Underwear = 2c (Could go up to 5c at least)

The one out of these that I think is the most underappreciated today are the House Spirit underwear.
    Many people collect Crackers the Goldfish and Munion Plushes and the underwear are like those but only dropped for two weeks instead of 5 years.

Tempura PIMDinis released!
    Available from 30/October/2015 to today.
    Made from 10x 4 parts.

[​IMG]

The second bento, very similar to the Launch bento, along with similar accompaniments, the chibis and items from this set’s items are believed to have higher drop rates than launch and pep bentos, and is worth a bit less than the launch bento.

Its components include Chibi Rock Angel PIMDini, Chibi Rastafarian PIMDini, Chibi Party Animal PIMini, and Chibi Goth Girl PIMDini.

These PIMDinis are worth the same as launch chibis at 1:1c, 10b ts, and 2b dvp each.

The tempura bentos are much more common than launch bentos and are therefore worth a touch less.

Tempura set bento box @ 37-38c each, 375b ts, or 75b dvp.

The accompaniments are quite different to the launch set. Munions (1kcs) are reported to be rarer than crackers (1kcs), but the capsule croc (100kcs) is far more common than the capsule piglet (100kcs).

So their values are
    Chibi Munion = 2c
    Baby capsule croc = 1-2c

Dessert Display
    Available from:
    30/November/2015 to
    1/December/2015
    Made from 5x 4 parts.

[​IMG]

This spinner set was only available for only 3 days, and is more a Black Friday themed set(which is unique) and as a result, the components and sets are both quite rare. It is also tasty, and the cakes are very beautiful!

Dessert Display = 3-4o

{Swiss Roll, Strawberry Layer cake, Lava cake, Choux à la crème} = 6c

The Magicianimals
    Available from 16-30/December/2015
    Made from 5x 5 components

[​IMG]

The Magicianimals Set was the first set with 5 parts. Mainly collected individually as animals to fill up showcase, the set is on the more common side for classical sets but is still cute.

The Magicianimals = 2-3o

{Owlkazam, Abracatiger, Hocat Pocat, Wingardium Lionosa, Wizard Rabbit} = 5-6c

Lucky Combo
    Available from 1-13/February/2016
    Made from 8x 4 components

[​IMG]

After a month with no spinner set, a.t.a came back with a weird one. It bucked the trend of increasing stats to stick with a theme of 8's.

The set itself is 88,888/88,888, and the components are each 888cs, and you needed 8 of each of them to make the set.

Lucky Combo = 60c

{Chinese Good Luck Charm, Paper Lantern, Chinese Golden Nuggets, Lucky Tangerines} = 3c

Not exactly 88 and 8c, but why not follow the trend?

Tropical Terrarium
    the 1st uneven set
    Available from 7-31/March/2016
    Made from 1x 4 parts

[​IMG]

The tropical terrarium was the first set with items of different stats and drop-rates.
    To make the set, it takes: 1 gnome, 1 tropical plants, 1 glass planter and 1 painted rocks.

Tropical Terrarium = 4o

Darth Gnome = 6-10o
    Tropical plants = 15c-1o
    Glass planter = 5c
    Painted rocks = 2c

During the event, gnomes had crazy high values, with their standard price being equal to 8🍱 today, and some selling for far more, and they have just continued to get rarer, now being rarer.

Plushpals
    Available from 7-30/April/2016
    Made from 3x 4 parts

[​IMG]

The plush parts for this set are beastly valuable and people will buy for lots.

Minimum values:
    Plushpals = 2o
    {Carol the cow, Terence the Tiger, Rhoda the Rhino, Simon the Sea Turtle} = 7-8c

Maximum values:
    Plushpals = 4o
    {Carol the cow, Terence the Tiger, Rhoda the Rhino, Simon the Sea Turtle} = 20c

Enlightened Flopsy
    Available from 4-30/May/2016
    Made by combining 5x 4 components

[​IMG]

The enlightened flopsy signalled the first “animal and entourage set” where it’s 3 meh items accompanying an animal that is valued more highly, the star of the show! You’ll notice this in many later spinner sets.

The Uncentered Flopsy is often voted among the cutest spinner items and showcase items ever. It's pretty awesome. Here is a close-up, in a field of flowers.

[​IMG]
    If you think you collect cute items but don't have one of these, you are lying to yourself.

Enlightened Flopsy = 3-4o
    Flopsy the Uncentered Bunny = 30c-1o
    {Yoga Mat, Meditation Bell, Mindfulness Incense} = 4-5c

Atlantean Fish Paradise
    Available 4-30/June/2016
    Made by combining 5x 4 parts
    The only true copy-cat among the classics.

[​IMG]

This set is worth less than the enlightened flopsy because it’s not considered as cute, and because the flopsy bunny is a bit cuter than Neptune the clownfish. It is another animal and entourage set, and because it had identical stats and requirements as the last spinner set, people complained.

Due to it being undervalued, it's probably got hidden potential. I'd recommend trying to flip some of its bits.

I think the devs smelt something like success with the flopsy set and stayed on it for a reason. We feared it would become the standard. The entourage thing did stick for a long time after so I think this repetition indicates an early understanding by the devs of its potential.

Atlantean Fish Paradise = 2o
    {Neptune the Clownfish} = 20-30c
    {Fish Bowl, Decorative Seaweed, Atlantean Palace} = 4c

Here is neptune, again.

[​IMG]

Martini Pool Party Second uneven set
    First full-month set
    Available fron 1-30/July/2016
    Earnt by combining different numbers of its 4 parts.

[​IMG]

This set was the second uneven set but it was revolutionary and unique in that it required different amounts of different components to combine: 1 vesper the Pool Dog, 2 cocktail umbrellas, 3 olives, 4 martini glasses.

Martini Pool Party = 2-3o

Vesper the Pool Dog = 3-4o
    Cocktail Umbrella = 15-20c
    Olive = 5-6c
    Martini Glass = 1c

Margarita the Bartending Parrot
    Gimmick for how items are earnt has cool effect
    First capped set
    Available from 2-31/August/2016
    Made from 5x 4 parts

[​IMG]

Margarita the Bartending Parrot= 8o

Blue Hawaiian = 60c-2o
    Daquiri = 13-20c
    Zombie Drink = 8c
    Mai Tai = 5c

This set is strange because it isn’t inherently uneven but the prices of the items differ greatly! The drop rate, number required per set, and stats of the parts are all identical.

This set became uneven due to the community’s reaction to a twist.
    The parts of this set were released for only one week each, over the month.
    (only 1st week) Mai Tai, (only 2nd week) Blue Hawaiian, (only 3rd week) Daquiri, (only 4th week) Zombie Drink.

During recent spinner events, a trend came out and spread where people knew that to get the most out of your spins, you could spin at the very beginning of the month and sell items and sets at the start of the event while they were rare. It was better to spin as soon as possible rather than at the end of the hunt because prices were higher at the start. So when this hunt came out, people spun with all the saved spins from the last month and they sold off their Mai Tais quickly but many people soon noticed that no other items were dropping.

When they checked the thread in forums, they noticed that ir wasn't just bad luck or a glitch! The items were being released separately on each of the 4 weeks of the event.

From then on, people decided to save spins and to try to monopolize on one of the later items. People were betting on spinning lots on the second, third, or fourth week to hopefully get the rarest drinks.

The differences in their rarity was mainly influenced by the fact that not many spins could be saved up by the second week, and then it was secondarily influenced by people betting on the last week being the rarest one and spinning lots during that.

This set was also the first limited set with a maximum of one per account. I would think this would make the parts more common and the sets rarer. But the parts are fairly rare still.

Interplanetary Lava Lamp
    Available 1-30/September/2016
    Made by collecting 1x 4 components
    Second capped set. (Sets capped at 5. Parts capped at 10 of each)
    Most common set, yet! An omen of things to come!

[​IMG]

This hunt had the same weekly drop gimmick as the Bartending Parrot set but people had wisened up and were saving their spins for the later weeks.

But something was totally different! Instead of needing to have 5 to make 1 set, and have that set capped at 1.
    You just collected 1 of each to make a set but had to make 5. So basically 5 sets for the price of 1 bartending parrot! But that was the most you could own. So more of the same? Perhaps but we had like 5x as many sets as that time! And way more than usual! These sets were individually considered rubbish and spammy by most of the community whereas the parrots had been treasured.

Anyway moving on, no rarest component is clear to me. They all seem to be worth the same. That being said, it was the most common set ever and would only be matched by the sets after November of 2016.

Interplanetary Lava Lamp 1-2o

{Earth Orb, Moon orb, Mars orb, Lava lamp} = 10-20c

If you collect these, be careful. They are very easy to combine by accident

Pep PIMDinis released!
    Available 8/September/2016 to today
    Made by combining 10x 4 components
    The third musketeer joins the gang, and like the fourth horseman of the apocalypse, signals the end of classical spinner sets.

[​IMG]

Being released close to the anniversary of the launch PIMDini series, the Viral Pep! PIMDinis were drawn by a different artist than the first two sets and was accompanied by three capsule animals and no ‘small’ item. This set was a popular hit and had lower drop rates than the other PIMDinis on spinner. Initially, and for about a year after their release, they were worth twice as much as the other PIMDinis.

Inexplicably, about 2 years after their release, we heard people talking about how they weren’t true bentos or something, pointing out the art style, and that they aren’t explicitly called bentos.

I’ve never heard a good argument based on anything or even really found a good reason for their value to drift, but it has. They aren’t often used as chibis or bentos in trade, today. And despite some peoples’ half-assed efforts to buy them up and increase their value, they just aren’t seen as being currency the same as the other chibis and bentos.

The Pep PIMDinis can currently be bought at the minimum, for around 1/3rd of another chibi, 1b dvp, 4b ts.
    The Pep Cases can currently be bought for as low as 20c each.

The Pep PIMDinis can and should be worth equal to other chibis.
    The Pep cases can also be worth equal to the other bentos.

I firmly believe that if more people take the time to invest in them and tell people who refuse to accept them in trades ignorant, that their value will rise up to normal so they are a worthwhile investment especially if they are bought up for the lower prices and sold for more like 1/2c or 1c each.

The accompanying capsules are worth quite a lot compared to the other capsule animals.

Capsule Snow Leopard Cub = 5-7c
    Capsule Sandpiper Chick = 4-5c
    Capsule Red Fox Kit = 6-8c

Autumn Comfort
    3rd Unbalanced Set
    Final Classical spinner set
    Available from 3-31/October/2016
    Made from 1x 4 parts

[​IMG]

The last uneven spinner set, and the last of the classical spinner sets. The Autumn comfort is one of the cutest and most highly demanded of the bunch and, in my opinion, highly collectible by virtue of being both uneven and having an item cap. The set and items are all capped at 10 so you could start easy by getting 10 of each flavours of autumn, then 10 pumpkins, and so on getting more and more impressive.

Very swag money if anyone completes that collection! Mucho impressivo!

Autumn Comfort = 4o

Miles the Tabby = 4-6o (Epically cute)
    Catte Latte = 1-2o
    Tiny Pumpkin = 6-8c
    Flavors of Autumn = 2c

[​IMG]

Prologue

From here on, some features are extracted from the lessons learnt by the devs up to this point, and they inform the way that spinner sets have been since November of 2016.

These are
    1. Entourage (1 cute animal with other spinner items being disinteresting)
    2. 5x 4 items. Items each being 10kcs and the set being 300kcs.
    3. Even Spinner sets (all items being the same rarity and stats)
    4. Back-to-back monthly releases
    5. No accompanying items, only combinable ones on the spinner.
    6. All items available throughout the month
    There are very few sets from the past 3 years/36+ sets which break any of these rules. The only two I can think of are Fitness Loving Hamigo (which had some items exclusively available in the spinner boxes), and The Final Battle which had a human and a dragon as the interesting pieces, rather than just a single animal. Anyway hope you enjoyed this one!

Also the photographs I used as the backgrounds for most of the set images were from unsplash.com
    The photographers were:
    Damiano Baschiera// mountain and field
    Louis Maniquet// misty forest ridge
    Joshua Fuller// snow on basalt cliff
    Bruce Timaná// space mountain
    Kelly Sikkema// flowers
    Paul Gilmore// star swirl
    Oliver Paaske// tide
    Dave Hoefler// Delta beach
    Yifei Chen// veinous branches
    Greg Rosenke// swell
    Francesco Castiliogne// sandstone chimney
    Jeremy Bishop// rainbow
    Daniel lerman// star streak

Lite, Ganymedes, PsicodeIica and 3 others like this.
  2. Lord I wish you had used more spoilers, this is long.

Also though, I thought you had known Jess was working on a spinner guide already?

3. why is this only till 2016
    and why is every image formatted differently lmao

KinkyGothGirl likes this.
  4. Because it says classical spinner items, i.e. the original kinds.

5. okay but why is the cutoff for "classical/original" 2016? there was no explanation

6. I would assume because that was the first year of the existence of the spinner feature, but I agree an explanation of this cut-off would have been helpful.

7. that's all i was wondering, if you're going to define "classical" spinner sets and cut a guide off at 2016, then I would expect there to be some sort of explanation why

Muschi likes this.
  8. What makes the post 2016 spinner sets not classical?

9. i really gotta ask, did you read the other comments or

10. Not thoroughly

Muschi likes this.
  11. I explained how they are different at the start and end.

12. 🦆Oh, please. It's short af

Also I don't recall Jess's guide including prices on info about the sets that influences their value.

I thought it was just a straight-forward listing.

The idea and assets of this series of mine predates hers by quite a long time.

BloodyKisses likes this.
  13. Oh, so you began the cut off with the items that follow the "modern" spinner combo rule, so that's where the line between modern and classical has been drawn. So where ATA began to be consistent with the aspects of the combos is right after November 2016.

xPeachMamii- and Kefo like this.
  14. It’s not short LOL. Maybe short for your usual threads though.

As for the other part, I don’t know of the series you’re referring to. You ramble about a lot of ideas often so it’s hard to understand what you mean. I just think it’s odd that you didn’t just work with her to create a more cohesive thread personally.

15. I offered and she sounded keen but she stopped contacting me. Not sure why. I didn't want to be annoying and insist.

16. That's it. A point in history when many people started saying they were reskins, boring, etc. And the devs just stuck to the formula and stopped shaking things up.

Newer items also have much higher drop rates than the older ones

O and the limit of 5. I forgot to mention that

17. How would you tell they actually have higher drop rates vs just more people spinning etc? Especially now with timer boxes incl. them + VIP package having ways to get more spins easily and overall a larger community than 2015-2016.

18. My series of price guides has been a solid idea mentioned in many different threads over rhe years. I wrote an introduction to it a few years ago, then I wrote 4 guides that are a part of it.

About box trading, the guide to pins, the guide to scavenger itrms, and now this one.

Next is the guide to hunt sets.

19. Experience spinning them. I can't retroactively test drop rates on the spinner.

20. Just your experience or have you collected anecdotes from other players active during that time period?

Kefo likes this.