[Support] Handicap Avatars

Discussion in 'Questions/Feedback' started by Sanguine, May 5, 2019.

1. @Growl if “t’s just an avi,” then there is no point in making avatars more reflective of real life since avatars themselves are trivial.

Either avatars are important or they are not important.

2. Support!

Muschi likes this.
  3. I agree. Not just with disabilities, but more diverse avatars.

Muschi and Maddi_Matsu like this.
  4. You right lie it is a game just the reason for this to be a no support keep it pixelated leave real life out of it. I'm sure some person that plays this and has to use a wheelchair to get around don't want to see that. People use this app to get away from real life

5. That’s my point - they are NOT important, to me anyway. But if someone who’s perhaps disabled, sees an avi that perhaps resembles them? Can you imagine how happy that could possibly make them?

I have a skin pigmentation myself and I personally love seeing the tier 9 dormmates who have one too. It is just an avi and no ones asking for it to change the world or make a great stand against injustice. Only to perhaps make those who are disabled feel a little more represented in the game :)

Muschi and Maddi_Matsu like this.
  6. Or not happy it would make them. They disabled in real life "some" people come here to escape from who they are. A skin pigmentation is a big difference from say someone in a wheelchair ?

7. I know multiple people who are proud to rock their wheelchair. If you make a blanket statement like this, it can be seen as somewhat discriminatory. Also, no one is saying if you use a wheelchair in real life, you’d need to use the avis! I’d probably rock the avi despite being able bodied myself, if the design was cool and I liked the stats?

Maddi_Matsu and Muschi like this.
  8. Like... it's just to have the option there.

Escapism and avoidance aren't good coping mechanisms anyway. If you're using those to escape your own disabilities then you probably need to see a therapist so you can come to terms with your reality.

Maddi_Matsu likes this.
  9. I didn't say all are ashamed. But for the ones that are. That don't want to see avis in wheelchairs they can look inside them self and see that. I'm in no way discriminatory against handicapped I don't know where you got that blanket comment at. It if it would make big revenue I'm sure ata is all for it regardless how controversial the subject may be.

10. You saying that being disabled is nothing to be proud about is a blanket statement. The opposite of pride is shame. I just connected the dots.

Maddi_Matsu likes this.

11. If avatars are unimportant, then having other options would not make people happy.

If they are important, however, they would have that potential.

12. ^ Things don't have to be important in the grand scheme of things to make you happy lol

Maddi_Matsu likes this.
  13. You’re the one adding “grand scheme of things.” In the grand scheme of things, you and your feelings are meaningless. So are me and mine.

But they have to be important in some sense, but if they are completely trivial, then they would have no impact.

14. That’s exactly my point though. Avatars don’t mean much to me. Someone whom is able-bodied and has lgbt rep in the game with avis. There’s multiple avis that remind me of me, whether it be small things or large similarities.

However, if there was more rep for people who perhaps don’t see themselves in the avatars, that could only be a good thing right? Whether or not they use them would be completely up to them. More representation is never a bad thing.

15. Your original statement was not personalized; you’ve changed that. Fine.

However, I do not think that “[m]ore representation is never a bad thing.” I will not go into further detail because I am fully aware of ATA’s draconian policies to keep people from saying things that are not in vogue with those who are just to the right of Lenin.

16. I never said I'm not proud of disabled people. I said some aren't proud of who they are. I'm very proud of my son. I support him 100% in whatever he does but still doesn't change that not everyone feels that way.

17. You’re a good father, and people should be kinder to you.

18. @Neo, I’m sorry, please be aware that when I say things, I am speaking from personal experience and speaking as myself, I wouldn’t make a blanket statement. I don’t have a personal attachment to avis, I chose them based on their aesthetic and stats, as do most people, I believe. However, am I more inclined to perhaps use an avi with brown hair? Yeah, because I have dark hair. Am I more likely to use a plus size avi sometimes? Yeah, because I’m not as petite as most of the avis are!

My point is simple - if there are avis that people can identify with, they, as all the positive replies in this thread suggest, believe it would make the app more inclusive.

19. I’m glad to hear you’re supporting your son! We definitely need more parents like you. However, there are people, despite your claims, who are disabled on the app who would love an avi they feel they could identify with. (see: previous comments!)

20. That’s fine. We just disagree on the desirability of so-called “inclusivity.”