Showcase update

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by Kefo, Aug 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ay yo, it's your local showcase/trading hipster with a hot take about the new update.

Favourites/Starred items? 🔥/10
    Search Feature? 🔥/10

Visible furni? Yahhhhhh.../10
    Helps declutter the torrential spam of furniture advertising that has been going on for the past few years.
    Now that people will be trading furni more often and seeing what furniture is out there, they'll get a better sense of their rarities. Old items will be hunted down just as much as showcase items which is chill.

Overall there are no negatives unpess ur a tradephobe.

Classifications/Sections? ABOMINABLE/10

Let's go through them:

Gift (Yah)
    Stats (😷!😓?😧!😦?😣!😰?😲)
    Box (What about keys that are functionally the same? Plz incorporate.)
    Pet (Yes 👍)
    Sticker (Yes 👍)
    Furniture (Yes 👍)

My bone (and it's a big one) to pick, is with "stats".
    What's included in this?
    Is it only items that have stats?
    Or is it simply everything earnt via parties, hunts, spinner, and stories except furni and boxes?

I think this is a confusing category and one has no unanimous understanding. The term "stat" makes me cringe as a trader of showcase items because it originated as a way of linguistically diminishing or ignoring the significance of rarity in items.

Items began being either called a "stat" or "rare" depending on what someone thought of its value to argue for a return to the "stat value", or above it.

"Stat value" has been a well known rate in the pimd community for the last 2+ years and is generally the value at which main story rewards (msr) or the most abundant and cheap items. Are valued.

If you say "that's a stat item" it means, sell me that for the standard rate, ignoring any rarity. On the inverse, if someone asks you for a rare item for too low a cost, you say it's rare, meaning that it's rarer and thus worth more than that rate.

These origins sorta got lost. Not many people liked trading for rares, and many didn't know that items which were worth more than the standard rate were worth more so they started to over-generalize "stat" and apply it to pretty much everything, often being all story rewards.

However even within story rewards, some are worth more than others. Side story rewards of increasing difficulty are worth more than the main story rewards from their own hunt, and older hunts' SR are worth more than newer ones.

People these days commonly either say "stats" to refer to main story rewards, any story rewards, or all showcase items that have stats (from pins to top-10 items).

The latter use is super cringe because some statless items are worth more and are more highly sought after than some items even with large stats.

The popularity of the term is a result of a culture of ignorance of the fact that the commonality of certain items is why they're so cheap, and that the rarity of others is why they're expensive.

I think that Main Story Reward (MSR) is a shorter and easier way of referring to such items. There is only 1 item that doesn't fit that description and is valued at that same rate, and that's panda plush pillow, but failing that, the only term that should be reserved for that is "stat", so I don't think it should be a section in the showcase.

What should it be?

Currently, I think it would be most tactful to break that section up so that it includes all the tradable showcase items (maybe still including boxes... They don't really need to be separated, though I wouldn't mind them having their own section. Just have boxes be visible in both sections) except furniture.

👀

Tl;Dr.
    Update is 90% good.
    "stats" is a bleurgh word when not used literally.
    "tradable showcase" would be a better name for that section. Let the improper use of "stats" die the death it deserves.

That's all :) ty from your local showcase hipster

2. Also hi, apparently you can't see other peoples' starred items.

I'm all for a private starred items interface. But let us star things twice to make them public?

3. I expressed my thoughts on the original thread. 🌚

4. I can see other people's starred items. Tap view all and then swipe right.

5. Still need to incorporate a search for when you're in trades, but it's an amazing start

iEllie likes this.
  6. this ^
    also this thread has 0 pretty coding and i hate reading walls of plain text so
    TLDR

7. That's why there's a tl;dr included.

8. Pfft. Who uses the original thread?

9. They posted an announcement thread? I can't find it.

10. pls it blended into the text wall

11. no, someone just made a thread about it before you

12. Requesting lock. New thread should be a bit more succinct and more colourful and stuff. 🔥

Muschi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.