Politics and news

Discussion in 'Other PIMD Discussion' started by Kefo, Jun 28, 2020.

1. I want a politics and news subforum where we can discuss systemic racism, police brutality, how the coronavirus has affected our lives, the humanitarian crises in Yemen and Syria, China spying on and sabotaging its diplomatic partners like Australia, the Hong Kong protests, the relevance of the American constitution and human rights, etc.

How have you all been dealing with the continuation of covid-19?
    Post 🎉 below if you have become jobless thanks to covid-19 or if you have had the coronavirus yourself.

Post a 🍂 if someone you know has died from the coronavirus.

In the news, here, over half of the headlines seem related to or directly about covid-19. And it has been like that for months! Some are getting tired of it but I think the news media is inspiring. The longer they can stick with it, the longer we can. Would be a shame for it to slip under the radar at any point.

2. Hm. I don't know if a subforum itself is necessary as I think individual threads on news / politics related topics fits nicely in the "Off topic" subforum for discussions.

Luckily, no one I know has passed away from coronavirus but I do know people that have had it, gotten ill, and thankfully recovered. COVID-19 has affected my work situation for the worse, as well. It provided me with an avenue to better protect myself and my family (someone I live with is a severely at-risk individual) by remaining home as much as possible for an extended period of time, though, so it did have its pros.

WhoTfIsWesday and Day like this.
  3. Sub forum doesn't seem necessary. I know ppl secondhand who've died from it...I also know someone who is suffering permanent brain damage from a domestic abuse incident that occurred during quarantine...those were/are on the rise w families being stuck together, sadly

Muschi likes this.
  4. I know 5 people personally who have had/currently have it. One had little to no issue and has recovered, one did have issues but recovered at home. One is currently in the ICU and it’s not looking well. Two people in close contact with that person tested positive very recently and are quarantined at home. I have 3 others family members awaiting tests tomorrow who had close contact with them as well.
    Since the shut downs my job has opened back up with restricted hours, and unfortunately I havnt been able to return to work because the restricted hours don’t match up with my school schedule. My clinical sites for school have all been shut down, but I return to campus for labs/lecture the second week of July.

Muschi likes this.
  5. Just use off topic like we always have for years.

I know two people who had the rona. Both said its dumb & they just lost their sense of taste.

I've only seen 2 people wearing a mask, other than store employees who are being forced to. People here think its dumb. Low population density means we've only had 5 cases in the entire county and 0 deaths.

Quarantine has been the same as non quarantine for me. Still full time employed as a mommy. Evan's working from home 99% of the time, so that's cool. Kids fell into a homeschool routine pretty fast, it wasn't as hard as anticipated.

Life's good over here...except for the leak in my shower that I called a plumber about on Friday and he still hasn't shown up. We're all a little stinky, but that's ok. We can go shower at my mommy's house.

6. 🍂 A cousin and an uncle of mine passed away due to the virus. My family is extensive, and I only met them once or twice in my life, but it’s still a shock. I know multiple people who have lost their grandparents/parents to the virus and it’s heartbreaking. One of my best friends had her family quarantined (before lockdown) because one of their family members was infected, but thankfully, they all got better.

I’m doing well. A lot of people like to come after me and make fun of me for being Asian-American, with slurs and all that. But honestly, I just remind myself how sad they have to be to blame an entire race for a virus. One of my friends also had this occur to her, but she found where the racist went to school and got him expelled for his racist remarks.

I feel like the Black Lives Matter movement shouldn’t even be a part of politics. It shouldn’t be a political debate whether or not black lives matter. Black lives matter, period. Nobody said that all other lives didn’t, or “blue” lives. I hope all who have suffered from systematic racism in this country gets peace and justice for what happened to them.