Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I lost a friend of mine to depression yesterday.
    This is a shoutout to all of you who're suffering from any such mood disorders. I want you to know that you're not alone and that people will be there for you. It will get better and we'll walk down the isle of happiness together. Stay safe. 🤍

Muschi and Stephy like this.
  2. I am sorry for your loss, suicide is selfish. However, I think people should be allowed to take their own life if they want to. It is okay to decide that life isn’t for you, if it is not a rashly made decision.

3. I hope you’re doing alright and are able to cope well. I’ve lost two people from it as well, and survived attempts. Just as you said, you’re not alone. Stay safe, and try to be happy, for them. 🤍

Ps. (not to op), suicide isn’t selfish. It’s not a matter of selfish nor selfless.

4. A suicidal person wants to end their suffering. But also see their pain and suffering as a burden on the people who care about them and don't want them to have to deal with something that isnt their problem. So killing themself takes away the suffering and takes away the burden they think they are putting on others

5. Sucide should be illegal just cause you are chemically imbalanced and want to die don't mean your death should be granted now if you're 100% chemically balanced and 100% perfectly mentally healthy and want to do it then yeah you should, you're not at the knees of your brain that turned against you but it's your wholeheartedly 100% decision then yeah but you ain't gonna find that person wanting to kill their selves.

6. Eh nahh. Theres some cases where its good. Like terminally ill people who have no dignity and no quality of life that are being forced to suffer and stay alive coz its illegal to die atm

Muschi likes this.
  7. Right i didn't add that to the equation but no it should still be illegal sure you have no dignity but no quality of life but that does not mean you should be granted the right to suicide

8. We dont leave animals to suffer....so why do we leave our own kind to suffer?

9. Because humans aren't animals, animals are property you go and buy a dog its your property thars the legal definition of. Its a lot more complex with a human... think someone with chemical imbalances some days they wanna kill their selves other days they want to live so why would you grant their death when they could potentially get better same shit with someone in pain..
    A new medicine that can take away or cure them could come along and we are in a greedy capitalist system 🤣who's to say a buncha higher ups won't put people down for a quick buck and then say that person wanted to be put down lol they wouldn't get untrouble for that and now you got murders do you want that its a bad idea

10. It is selfish. That doesn't mean they shouldn't if they want to, but it permanently harms all the ppl who cared about them and all the ppl who care about those ppl and have to deal w their trauma.

11. Yehh you really dont understand it. Thats a good thing tho. Coz the only way to understand it is if you have been that far into depression yourself. But also you saying its completely fine for a person to die a slow painful death just coz they arnt a pet? Some do deserve it sure but majority no

12. YOU ARE NOT ALONE

eileen likes this.
  13. That’s your opinion which is fine, and valid in its own way. However, just because it may cause harm does not make it inherently a selfish act. When you’re impacted, or even attempt yourself, it’s easier to understand that they were committing a more selfless (though, I don’t personally apply either word) act.

As I said, this isn’t a matter of selfish nor selfless. It is an act of desperation, attempting to end personal and outside suffering, both for yourself and others. Consideration of pain all around is not selfish. There is simply a skewed view compared to, for example, yours. When I attempted, it was to lessen burden on others AND myself, whether it’s true or not. 🤷🏻‍♀️

14. Your last sentence is rly where it matters tho, and the fact is that most ppl who commit are actively making everyone's life worse. Particularly the way they go about it (i.e public suicides like jumping in front of a train or jumping off a building are repulsive, they traumatize random strangers and it's just an act of saying "fuck you" to the world). Shooting yourself or hanging yourself and leaving that for someone, likely a family member or friend, to find. Everything about that is selfish. And then if you live, but you're permanently injured, you're now a burden on everyone you know. A close friend of mine's lil brother jumped in front of a train and lost his leg, and now everyone's life, both timewise and economically, has to revolve around him. A coworker of mine's friend hung himself and his 3 year old son found him, and now on top of the trauma they're a one-income family. Don't ever call is selfless, that's actually stupid.

15. You missed my point. As an outsider, of course it’s “selfish”, but as the person committing? It’s the complete opposite because of the skewed mindset that things like trauma, depression, etc. cause. As outsiders, we need to try and understand that rather than shaming someone, even when they’re gone. I’m also not even going to touch on public acts, that’s a completely different situation most times.

I didn’t claim it was selfless. I’m simply saying it’s far less selfish than you’re twisting it to be. When I lost a close friend and then uncle to it, as someone who’s been through it, I was able to understand the situation a lot better. I was messed up for a while, but it’s not a matter of what I am going through, it’s about trying to understand what they were going through. For instance, my uncles situation wasn’t selfish by any means. He was going into horrific debt, a separation, etc etc. and did it as an act to end all of that and the costs that go with it since he knew he would be cremated without funeral and not have expensive costs of a burial piled up. It’s all extremely situational. Though, even in the case you brought up, he still isn’t some horrifically selfish person. The intention of selfishness is missing when it comes to these acts, and that does matter. Most people who attempt and/or succeed have everyone’s regard in mind and best interest. We simply cannot understand it because we are not in their heads.

Let’s stop speaking ill of those passed or those who’ve gone through it.

Affliction and Stephy like this.
  16. This thread seems to have gone off from the original topic of awareness and has veered into debate. Locking now.

eileen and Muschi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.