Emojis in Forums

Discussion in 'Other PIMD Discussion' started by Kefo, Nov 8, 2017.

1. You should be able to see all the ones I listed.
    I'm assuming you're talking about the ones which show up as chinese symbols when you try to type them.

There are a few things that need to be understood to answer this, the first is that Emojis are actually text-based. They're not images that you type into a textbox. They're characters that are interpreted by the text box or device you're using, and they're then converted into the image of the emoji.

If you've ever been sent an apple-exclusive emoji from an iPhone user, it'll usually show up as either blank, and empty rectangle, or a rectangle with an X in it. This is because android devices can't interpret the characters they've typed and convert them into an image.

There's a shorter list for android phones, and an even shorter list for computers.

Forums is across all 3 platforms, so the permissible and readable emojis/emoticons must be readable to all 3 platforms. So they filter out some android emojis, even if your device can read them, forum text boxes don't.

To see a text character your device and app both need to be able to read them, not just one.

 < try pasting this onto your wall by quoting this and copying it.

"An emoji is just another character like an A or Chunese character. The bytes sre always the same but the device must know ho to draw the character - have the right font for it"

To your smartphone, an emoji is just like any other character (e.g., lower-case ‘a’, upper-case ‘B’) and needs to be rendered with a font.

An iOS emoji won't even show up as a chinese character because that's the format that android devices can interpret.

Devices can also interpret enojis differently. The emoji font on apple is unique to apple phones. Having good emojis is a selling point for devices, and while iPhones do have more emojis, they're generally worse than android emojis.

https://grouplens.org/blog/investigatin ... ing-emoji/

? and in forums

2. Yes, I totally understand that. But if you an android holder can view them then I should be able to also. ?

Well scratch that you didn't list the regular smiley.

3. It needs to go through forums. There's like encryption and stuff that occurs which I couldn't explain, but whether your device is reading the emoji from forums or other mediums, its ability to read the same one changes.
    I think it's down to font.

When you press the button, it inputs raw data, forums takes that raw data and applies a font to it. Your phone can't then take that fonted data and recognize it because it looks different to the raw "bytes".

When you copy a message from the forums, the added font is removed, and placing the raw data back on your wall will nean that the wall is then only interpreting raw data, so it works.

4. Thanks for enlightening me <3

5. Bump for Deli

6. try harder kefo

7. O this is great

8. They're called emojis now so... aren't you the uncultured swine

10. Dumb thread.

11. bumping for Deathy

12. I thought emoticons are made up of punctuations while emojis are icons :?

13. That’s true

14. You google a lot of stuff, don’t you?

15. hi