Why Forums is Failing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RevolutionaryWolf, May 17, 2015.

1. WARNING. THIS POST WILL BE A LONG, SERIOUS THREAD. IF YOU DON'T LIKE READING LONG STUFF I DON'T RECOMMEND YOU CONTINUE ANY FURTHER.
    Don't say I didn't warn ya.

We’ve all felt it (especially the older forumers here). Forums just isn’t the same and it’s getting worse. So what’s the problem?

In my opinion, it’s the lack of variety and the unwelcoming nature of forumers to it. I admit I’ve been guilty to feeling that too, sometimes. Threads are boxed in specific categories of what they should and shouldn’t be.

Guides have to be detailed and meticulously made with lots of bb coding or else it isn’t worth reading. I understand that guides should be informative and helpful but people are so harsh on newer players who attempt to try it. All of us were newbies at one point and we didn’t really understand how things were until stumbling around a few times.

And then the other threads should be funny or it is immediately criticized or discarded. A personal thing for me is that my comics have to be funny as if we were on 9gag or something. It’s true that a lot of my work is in the humorous part but once I try diverting from that I get a lot of “this isn’t funny” comments as if it was a pre-requisite for comics.

It’s almost as if forumers are almost allergic to what’s serious. You can’t discuss certain topics without someone derailing it or questioning its existence and judging it as unfit to be in forums. You can’t debate properly in forums without it getting out of hand which is sad because forums are one of the perfect places for a good debate. But you can’t because it all has to be “funny”.

One of the few exceptions to this “funny” rule is Royale’s “The Scary Truth” thread. That was 2011.

Doesn’t it say something if all we’re interested in is something funny and something dramatic? People end up crossing lines and use the “it’s just a game” excuse and forget that there is a real person behind the screen. A game can always go too far even before online games came up, games have been taken too far.

Forums needs to be more welcoming of new people and new ideas and new kinds of threads. People have to guide each other to enhance it. It’s that variety that makes everything so much more interesting. The more forumers shut out people, the worse it gets.

I’m not saying that forums will be an incredibly sunny place where everyone helps out. It won’t. There will always be trolls and people who just want to ruin it for everyone. I’m just saying we can be better than this. This is a 17 game. We should be better than this.

2. ???

3. You wrote that warning like it was going to be pages. Its barely a page, if that 

4. Good job OP

6. This took me a week to read. I needed help on some words so my mom helped me.

7. If a thread genuinely has no content, or I feel it's stupid, I just ignore it mostly. It'll be locked quickly anyway. But I do like threads with debates and arguments. I also like threads where people are quick to laugh and harass the original poster.

Really, the people here are very nice, even the ones everyone calls rude. Considering there are other games I played where I couldn't go a day without being told to commit suicide, it's really not bad here. Honestly, I miss the incredible abuse from other forums. It makes me feel bad when I say something flat out rude and people legitimately cry about it instead of telling me to stop breathing. 

So I expect to experience absolute sadism in a forum, and I have a tendency to forget that it won't actually happen here.

8. It's about time someone said this

9. Since it wasn't one big block of text, it was quite easy to read. I definitely see where you're coming from with this.

PS I enjoy your comics 

10. No its really not that long but most ppl on forums will just write a rude comment and say its too long to read.

11. support 

12. And that's part of the problem. People like you (not Angel).

And for most people, this is considered long, they see something that's more than two paragraphs and just go blehhh tl;dr.

13. I've seen people say tl;dr to posts that were barely 15 lines of text. It's generally one of those things that mean, "I read it, and you're an idiot, kthxbai."

14. Harassment can go too far. Things that have gone too far usually start off as something innocent.

15. True.

16. part of the problem with new thread ideas is that the op cant take any negative criticism and doesnt like to be questioned. they expect only positive feedback and when its not positive it starts a whole argument

17. I'm just a naturally sarcastic person and I can't help it ?

18. That is true. That's why I said I don't expect the problem to go away, I just hope people react better somehow. But to be fair, a lot of people in the world don't know how to deal with negative responses. I still have trouble with it, myself.

19. We only care about your comics bye