The Classics

Discussion in 'Other PIMD Discussion' started by Wesday, May 7, 2019.

1. Lettuce discuss classic novels. Or you can bring up a dif classic thing related to this topic.

I am re-reading Pride and Prejudice because I am bored and I like it. I don’t like most classic novels outside of Alice in Wonderland and Pride and Prejudice (which I actually think is kind of boring for most of the book and only certain scenes are interesting to me). Anyway. Do you think classic novels are revered because they are really well written and that's what makes them a 'classic' or is it just that they're old and we like to preserve old things? Cuz tbh I think Charles Dìckens is a trash writer and I had to yawn my way through The Picture of Dorian Gray, etc etc. What are your opinions on the supposed classics and if you like/dislike any specifically, why?

2. PRIDE AND PREJUDICE SUCKED NGL

3. O wow esplain yourself. I think it's a good book some of the time

4. I think a lot of people from younger generations don't appreciate the classics as much as they should, but they can't necessarily be blamed. We spoke an entirely different way, vocabulary has changed, sentence structure, phrases and idioms. The articulation in classics isn't passed on, it's not taught in school. I struggled with A Clockwork Orange because it was so far removed from what I knew. I literally had to stop and google words because I wanted to know the exact context of what I was reading. Aside from Shakespearean, I was never taught any other dialect. It would be nice if classic literature was more a focus in school though to broaden vocabulary.

Also... Alice's Adventures in Wonderland would be a solid fave of mine.

5. Honestly, I think beloved classics are often so held in high regard due to the lessons, ideas and perspectives learned from them. We are taught to appreciate classics because the generation(s) prior to us read them and felt or learned something from them and therefore they place an importance onto them that they attempt to pass onto us. We are expected to adore classics as much as those who enjoyed them before us, even if they are not truly that well-written or have anything particularly great about them.

That being said, there are plenty of incredible classic writers and pieces out there but I do not find any more of the "classics" to be amazing than I do current/recent writers.

6. It was a massive chick flick
    I only live for Poe ?

7. Mmm I've never had issues understanding what they were talking about other than the occasional cultural term like 'michaelmas' and I'm still not the biggest fan of most classics. Agreed, I didn't study them much in school outside of shakespeare, I feel like some of them would've been better to read than some of the rando novels my english teachers chose

8. I never watched the movie tbh, I'm just talking about the books

9. The book was a chick flick, BUT it’s better than Wuthering Heights.

10. Fair enough. Ig the same could be said about boomers going on about how much better music was in the 80s compared to the "trash" now. Good perspective.

11. The last book I read was a child’s perspective on how good a certain German “hit” er invading was and how they’d basically brainwash children into thinking Jews were bad ?I don’t read much normally

12. I think classics are revered because they contain stories and lessons that resonate with several generations of readers. I enjoy almost everything by the Brontë sisters. I quite liked Jane Eyre, I read it twice. I didn't care much for Pride and Prejudice; I preferred Emma by Austen. I agree with you and find D ickens a pretty boring read.
    Edit: I cannot believe D ickens is censored. ?

13. I didnt like wuthering heights either. I suppose pride and prejudice could be looked at that way. I didn't consider the novel very romantic tbh, most of the things i liked about it were completely unrelated to elizabeth and mr.darcy. i think her father is one of the funniest book characters ever and i love lydia and her shenanigans and i like the sisterly bond between elizabeth and jane.

14. Do you mean The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? I never read it but i remember when it was a best seller and everyone was talking about it. Was it any good?

15. The dìckens censorship made me laff because i am mentally a preteen. Never was a big fan of the brontë sisters :c i tried to read jane eyre and wuthering heights. I got further in jane eyre but found neither of them that interesting.

16. Other favourite classics are probs: The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Peter Pan (are these considered classics or are they too recent? Apparently i find kids stories more interesting)

17. No, that’s also good tho. It’s a short story called “The Childrens Story” by James Clavell, I dunno man I don’t have interest in reading usually

18. Hmmm i shall read it. That summary made me wanna reread lord of the flies now tho. Talking about children in authority

19. I haven’t really read any “classics” other than Alice in wonderland. I prefer newer reads. Plus any Shakespearean classic that I was assigned to read, I read with a ridiculous voice in my head because the use of language is annoying imo.

I do have a box set of the narnia books but idk if those are considered classics.

20. Oliver Twist. A definitive classic.