UPDATE Put a stop to scamming.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ATAClaptrap, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Hey everyone.

We are actively working on finding scammers, banning them, and preventing them from scamming unsuspecting players but the best way to help prevent them is through education!

Let's get rid of these scammers together!
    [​IMG]

The Scams

Now, these can all look different, but they will usually all have the same goal -- collecting your private information.

Even if someone seems trustworthy or you think they're a friend, be careful.

Do. Not. Share. Your. Private. Information.

The information that scammers are after will often include:
    💵 Financial information
    📧 Email addresses
    🔐 Login information (usernames, passwords, etc.)
    ℹ️ Personal information (City, address, work/school information, phone number, etc.)

There is no prince that needs your help to unlock their frozen bank account. There is no sugar mama that wants to give you $500 a week. The Canadian Revenue Agency isn't contacting you through Party in my Dorm to get your banking information.

A good rule of thumb to follow is that if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Especially in PIMD. 🧐

EXAMPLE SCAMS

The below list is not exhaustive, but should give you an idea of what to look out for:

Sugar Baby Scammers

Have you received a message like below?
    These messages are from players that will try to collect banking information from you. They are not real, and they will not give you any money. So for your own sake, do not give them any information.
    [​IMG]

Real-World Transactions

Selling and trading is an important mechanic in Party in my Dorm, but transactions involving real currency and account sales are never allowed. They often lead to someone getting scammed, or losing access to their account.

If you participate in Real-World Transactions and something goes wrong, our team will not be able to assist you, and it may even result in your account getting banned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Impersonation of ATA Staff

Players will sometimes impersonate A Thinking Ape (ATA) employees to gain your trust or to try and tell you you've broken a rule and need to contact them through Discord. Those folks are not us. The Real ATA Dev Team members have red names in public chats, like you can see below!

[​IMG]

We also have [ATA] at the beginning of their name and will usually be in the A Thinking Ape club.
    [​IMG]

Please note that we do not use private messages to offer support. We will not ask for private information and we will not ask you to click links.

Are there any other scams?

Yes! Again, these can look like many different things.

Other potential scams may include:
    - Requests for banking/private information
    - Social media requests
    - Spoofed (fake) emails or websites
    - Players asking for photos (these are often used as blackmail)

Our own moderator, Day, also put together a fantastic guide on what to look out for in Party in my Dorm and how to avoid such scammers, so please read through that too for more information!

You can find it here!

If you're ever in doubt, send us a message. Our team are the only people that have access to our Help system and tickets.

#1 ATAClaptrap, Oct 20, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2023
  2. "Send me a picture of yourself so I can paint you, I'll give you $3500 😍"

[​IMG]

3. when in doubt, block random adds before they have a chance to message you with their tomfoolery 🙂

4. Thank you for trying to make a stop to this. You’re awesome

5. Can we put a stop to your scamming of the players? The prices are ridiculous for not very good stuff. Even the hunts are a waste and not good avis at all. Seems to me like ata is the one constantly scamming the the players

6. If you fall for the sugar mama stuff you’re a little questionable 💀

7. Finally someone said it

Bibire likes this.
  8. ^^ this

9. Can be many reasons someone could fall for it. Desperate for money so taking any chances that get. Lonely and wanting people to reguly talk to. In a bad head space n not thinking right to make good judgements. Kids on the game who dont know any better

10. This is probably the most important thing to keep in mind when interacting with other players.

If anyone is ever unsure if a Developer is real, please check this here. It gets updated by mods often. I'm also more than happy to answer questions pertaining to scams, so feel free to wall or gift me.

Muschi, Psyche, Rooni and 3 others like this.
  11. i agrée 100 % Im not a dumbazz I will never do this.

12. I think it’s weird you’re choosing to say this on a awareness post of ACTUAL scammers.
    ATA is a free to play game, you do not need to pay for anything to play. They don’t ask you to ever spend money, every member does that on their own volition and ATA provides the member with what they paid for. Is some of the content not worth it? Sure, but if you buy it anyways and still get the items then it’s still not a scam because you got the items 💀
    Not liking the content does not make the company scammers, if anything by that logic you should be SAVING money because you’re not buying any additional content?

This forum is to bring awareness of ACTUAL scammers who have taken not only money but PERSONAL information from people, harming their REAL lives. Your personal issues with hunt content has nothing to do with this.

Detention, bie_trice, LilBun and 46 others like this.
  13. It’s funny how you think ATA is scamming players when YOU have an OPTION to buy things from them. Yes it may benefit some players like buying misc and some may think it’s not fair because they can’t afford to buy it. But overall it at your own free will to buy things. I really think you need to look up the word scamming. Actually I just tell you; Scamming: is promising you that they will give you something to you after you give something to them, and they don’t do afterwards. So what ATA is trying to say is when someone says they are selling bentos and you accepted there friend request and they tell you how it works and they are sell bentos for .50 cents. You give them the real money off a third party app which is not acceptable and then they don’t give you the bentos. After that people cry because they just got scammed. But remember YOU had a CHOICE and you chose wrong. That what ATA is trying to cut down.

14. You have to understand the difference between business and Blackmarketing.

Muschi, LeeJarrett, Psyche and 4 others like this.
  15. This exactly.

Though I understand the side of players who feel "scammed" by high prices set in-game, there is a huge difference between a company setting prices for their business and players trying to use the game as a platform to take advantage of others.

Additionally, do keep in mind that certain aspects of pricing on PIMD are based on limitations set by Apple and other app stores too.

Victoria, Muschi, Noen and 10 others like this.
  16. To trust someone on the internet is a foolish endeavor.

Jaune, Noen, Gossamer and 3 others like this.
  17. Yes. If something looks to good to be true, run 🏃‍♀️ don't walk away. 😶‍🌫️ Stay safe friends.

Joy, DaJi and Delight like this.
  18. I knew that the, “Hot single sugar mommas in my area.” Pm seemed suspicious 🥸but seriously, always be cautious with people on the internet. Like they’ve stated, if it’s too good to be true, it most likely is. Stay safe 🏃🏻💨

YouMakeMyAssItch likes this.
  19. Tbh, it isn't a scam since you aren't forced to pay for anything. Just remain a F2P player

20. Finally. Thank you! 🙌🏻

bella42907 likes this.