Is America really as bad as they say?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CrimeFightinCactus, Nov 10, 2021.

1. From time to time on pub I see a debate about the United States of America
    On one hand you got the patriots that defend her to the bitter end.
    She a baddie that can't do no wrong.
    On the other side, you have the not so fond people.
    That talk about her like she a dirty hoe, the slums of the neighborhood compared to other western powers.
    But is America really that bad tho?
    Are other western powers really that much greater or do people have a romantic fantasy about those countries?
    Sure, there ain't no free university
    There's no universal Healthcare,
    Gun Violence is rampant
    And our version of capitalism do be kinda wild ngl,
    But does this really make it as bad as they say?

2. As someone with both parents born outside the U.S., and having traveled to their country of origin, I can say there are much worse places to live.

Sure, university can be expensive, but a lot of it depends on your school choice and where you live. I commuted to an in-state university and had a scholarship that covered all of my tuition, so I spent under $10,000 on my degree. I earned it back with my first internship, so there’s that.

The healthcare situation is as bad as it sounds, but if you’re lucky your employer can help you cover it. The system is seriously dysfunctional and arguably the least efficient in the world, and there’s not enough political will to fix it.

Gun violence is greatly exaggerated and sensationalized, and isn’t a pressing issue for most people. If I remember correctly, two thirds of gun deaths are suicides, and of the ones that are homicides, 80% are gang related, so if you’re not involved in illegal activity or feeling suicidal, your chances of getting killed by a gun are statistically very low.

For immigrants, it feels easier to fit in since Americans tend to have greater awareness and acceptance of foreign customs, and ‘ethnic Americans’ aren’t really a thing, whereas you’ll feel out of place as, say, a non-German in Germany, especially if you aren’t descended from white europeans. Racism is a real issue and gets more media attention than in other places, but this is largely because other countries either avoid reporting their issues or don’t have minorities visible enough for the mainstream culture to care.

3. This isn't a bad analysis tbh, I agree with most of what you said.

4. Couldn't have summed it up better myself, honestly.

However, my very first thought when I read the title was a plain and simple "Yes" without really thinking about all the good things that I've experienced. But I certainly wouldn't defend her to the bitter end 😂 She's got some major flaws, for sure, but at the same time there are upsides

CrimeFightinCactus likes this.
  5. What things would you say are bad though, besides what reee said

6. It's worse.
    But many people love anger and rage too much. Both are relatable and have zero resale value. Beco.e more humble by selling old stamps and coins (or something of that nature).
    Perhaps nurture the humble freedom that's been established upon harder efforts that this generation may likely never will understand the hardships those that made our freedoms where they are.

...or question why this alleged great nation does NOT have free internet or better Healthcare.

Or...

Follow the "let's go Brandon" community of dumbass necktards I live amongst and think that we are all as simple minded as racecar fans.

Mhmmm

7. I agree with all of this except the gun violence. Now, I don’t have the answers to solve gun problems, not do I think implementation of new laws will really matter considering those shooting other people aren’t following laws to begin with. But as someone who for years listened to gun shots ring through their own neighborhoods, I can assure you it is in fact a very large problem in some places. In other places it’s hard to know the problem even exists at all. Ive worked at two hospitals that rarely went a day without a gun shot victim, and worked next to EMTs and paramedics required to wear bullet proof vests within certain city limits. And these aren’t the big major cities you hear about in the news. This stuff doesn’t make the news. We witnessed a shoot out at an apartment complex across the street from our house over the summer and it doesn’t even make local news anymore unless it’s somehow worse than what’s already become normal. There’s places where the likelihood of you being shot is practically nonexistent and I feel like that’s why there’s still the problem that there is, because it’s just hard for people to recognize it if they don’t live in it.

Our healthcare system is absolutely terrible. I believe the worst is coming though. Currently the US there are no laws dictating safe nurse-patient ratios.
    I’m currently working one nurse to 15-20 patients because the lack of nurses right now. Once our vaccine mandate hits on the 29th, that will double if not triple. People will be going to hospitals and stat cares for very treatable conditions, minor emergencies, and are going to be dying because there simply are not enough bodies with the necessary knowledge to care for them. Because there are places that made healthcare professionals work 60 hour weeks with no vaccines, inadequate protective equipment, while they quarantined away from their children and loved ones. And now they’re firing them for not wanting to put something in their body that they’re uncomfortable with. For a lot of nurses it’s not even about the vaccine itself but the treatment they’re receiving around it.

I can’t say I believe this country is better or worse than anywhere else but it definitely has some serious problems that are being ignored.

Pinkerton and Azari like this.
  8. I was born in America, but I’ve been to other countries for vacation/work.

America is not as lovely as the citizens believe it to be.

For some reason the nationalism in USA is so rampant and lame.

It brainwashes its citizens into believing we are the absolute best there is, and every other country is third world.

It makes you think that all of Africa and China’s people live in mud huts & struggle for clean water.

Which is not true btw.

America’s infrastructure is also really bad.
    Very few cities are pedestrian friendly. If any.

I live 20 minutes away from NYC and the subway is grimy, filthy, and slow.
    “It’s part of New York’s charm!”

Yeah, no. I’d prefer my subway to have phone signal and air conditioner if we live in the “greatest country ever”.

America is almost impossible to survive in without a car, and we still haven’t utilized underground parking or made it abundant.

So you kinda buy a car and struggle to find valid parking if you live even in a suburban town.

In conclusion, America has its good aspects.
    But if you travel to a real first world country, you’d realize there’s a lot that could be improved.
    But you’d never know unless you take a hike coz the citizens are brainwashed into never leaving.

Pinkerton likes this.
  9. I'm from Wales I be leave the government cap you into the place you were born into as I feel the same way over here.

Lite likes this.
  10. Everything is about skin colour

11. Bad stories spread faster then good stories. Its why 99% of what the media shares is bad news. Its what gets the most clicks. Its how society works. Do something good and no one will notice. Do something bad and all hell breaks loose tryna start world war 3 or some shit

12. Personally, I hate “bad” news.

I never get that sh*t on my phone anymore.

The whole Travis Scott fiasco I didn’t know about til I had friends bring it up, coz frankly, it doesn’t directly affect me, nor do I care for the ambiguous debate of what was wrong & right.

I’d much rather see a news story about how a pitbull saved his owner from a fire than which celeb married who. 🤷🏻‍♀️

People love to be nosy about things that have 0 correlation to them.
    Forgive me if any of this sounds insensitive.

Also USA is just an entertainment mill for the world.

DinosAreTheOldestCars likes this.
  13. 100% agree

Lite likes this.