Investing in the stock market is overrated

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CrimeFightinCactus, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Last year I bought a penny stock for the shits and giggles I bought a bunch of shares and didn't think much it and recently that shit blew up and at peak I was gonna make 2.5k in return and I was like should I pull out but thought what if this could go bigger... so I stayed put and that shit dropped now if I sell ill make a 1.5k profit which is not bad at all I could sell rn but I'm staying put watch that shot lower even more ima be fuckkng mad that thing has been going up and down for weeks and i can't stop looking at it and it is stressful don't play with the stock market if you don't like getting stressed my dude

2. You have to read a lot and be very smart, or be connected and very influential, or both to make it really big in the stock market. It definitely isn't for everyone.

Muschi likes this.
  3. Ya not for everyone most people who try the stock market during bull market end up crashing and burning and then they quit I just wanna make a bit of extra side money atm them I'm retiring it. I'm making decent bucks nothing too big but its something eventually the market will get harder and ill just stop lol or just invest in things I think will be good in the future

4. Sucks that most younger Americans are lowkey kind of forced to participate in it for our retirement funds. 🚮

5. Superannuation? Retirement funds? Banks are also investors. You don't accrue interest on your savings just from nothing, or from the loans the banks lend.

Investment is all we ever do with our money. A car is an investment, a dog, a house, furniture, etc.

Stocks of a company, and support for that company is just another thing we buy for ourselves.

I don't think it was ever avoided, rather something we didn't think of or pay mind to. Banks gave us money magically and people didn't care to ask. This blindness lead to massive bubbles and financial collapse.

Superfunds here allow you to choose genres of companies to invest in like "Green energy" "Australian Business", "International businesses", etc. To appeal to peoples' ethics but also what they have faith in. We also have some banks tht are considered more ethical. They boycott some businesses that go against their agenda and invest in things that support it. By giving them your money, they claim it will be greener and cleaner.

I saw a video recently about the new wave of rogue investors like those on wallstreet bets, and how "crushing the gamestop bubble" gives people a false sense of security like putting out a spotfire, focusing on the tree, and being blind to the forest fire that is the stock market.

A term is often used for these people; bro traders. Characteristics of amateurism and sometimes immaturity -reddit traders- or even recklessness - wallstreet"bets"- are heavily applied. However those rogues who do engage in the market are firefighters and these people can do a lot of good work with their money but all that's missing is proper coordination and guidance.

The market is a deeply murky place and gaining clarity is next to impossible.

I spent years trading here and noticed some bubbles (Bookworm Bunny, Dev crate items) or underappreciated items (Harry Potter rings were 2-5c each before I started trading them and now sell for 30c-1o, and that change only took like a year) but that was only based on the rarity and comparative costs of items however in the real world, you have to effectively evaluate entire companies with the strength of their leaders and business structures, analyse the market they appeal to, programs they run, funding they dedicate to programs, how their competitors are faring, their viral ads, company mergers, compare their values to other things - housing, conglomerates, whatever else-, and basically nail everything. Getting a sense of the true value of any single stock requires a vast amount of knowledge.

My dad keeps inviting me to invest in cyber coins but I don't know how large a role it will serve in our society in the future. I know when I see in the news that banks now recognize coins, that as soon as that happened, their value had an uptick, but I don't know if they will continue to integrate cyber or what. The banks hold the keys and can bar cyber, but they will probably eventually capitulate to it, so they are investing and integrating it into their operational models. But does that also mean that banks are still a safe bet? Idk. Comparing those two things is too big for me to be confident in.

We invest all the time and it is hard to be sure of where to go. But safe options like unions, banks, and funds - while considered by most people to be safe- should remain safe.

Those safe ones can attack shorts (like gamestop) or bubbles (like the housing market) but generally remain meeker and uninfluential in the interest of their customers.

Groups like WSB can be lances to a boil but can also lose big. Strong analysis is needed to guide those lances to fix things in the current system. Market watchdogs, well-read, and with groups they can call on to invest are needed but the system itself isn't without fault.

The ecological and ethical damage of certain companies rarely devalues them but it should. Wider analysis incorporating ethics, and philanthropic/risky wallets have to infiltrate the market more.

Make carbon output a key statistic next to revenue.

6. Unfortunately you're looking at this from an Aussie PoV and not an American one. :( There's currently a crisis in the U.S. amid coronavirus regarding retirement funds, which are based in the stock market for many Americans. The article I linked describes why America needs to function more like, wildly enough, Australia when it comes to this. 401Ks here suck ass.

Investment is a good thing. The fact that it is considered essential and promoted by employers to invest it specifically in such a backwards, touchy market for the working class to want to be able to be financially stable in retirement is 👎.

7. I don't know much about superannuation but it does seem to work well and fairly.

8. The biggest issue with current superannuation here (aka 401k) is that it is a recentish change to the previous superannuation system (aka pensions), and the pensions were significantly better. Here's an explanation of the difference.

The stock market is like... gambling with your retirement money. Based on major historical issues with the stock market crashing and burning and sucking and thereby fucking over the working class multiple times in the last century, a lot of people are not comfortable being now required to trust in the [untrustworthy] stock market and/or [untrustworthy] banks.

9. You clearly don't know how the stock market works.

To.understand the market u have to:
    1) follow the money, mainly follow the debt market, dollar index and crude. The stock market is merely a derivative of the bond/debt market.
    2) invest and book profits.
    3) follow the money.

But my advice for now is:
    1) Don't buy any stocks.
    2) Short the risk on markets around March mid-end
    3) stay out of paper currency.
    4) buy gold and silver.

Stocks and cryptos are gonna crash hard soon. Hyperinflation gonna hit hard

10. Yeah have u ever pondered on how shady that is?

11. Duh