Debate

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kefo, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Let's do it! Missed debates!

Here is the topic:

- Stephen Hawking.

2. To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true -Aristotle

3. Aristotle spitting straight facts. If such basic concepts like yes meaning yes come from philosophers, how can philosophy be dead?

4. Well he's not wrong, I mean think bout it, philosophy is basically a category of a bunch of different sciences, well he realized all of them were intertwined, one big science, so there's no need to continue with sub categories, or maybe our tech is so advanced that there's no need for philosophy anymore, we're past that, idk, dude is the smartest in history I believe.

Lynaia likes this.
  5. Wth does any of this crap even mean?
    Philosophy is often intertwined with beliefs of diff faiths/religions. Questioning them is totally a decision that their need to try to convince them that said koolade drinking bullshit isn't for everyone. Be responsible enough to choose what seems best for you. Don't spew rhetoric towards ppl for entertaining your cults.

6. Pretty sure when Steven Hawking stated that he was talking about this definition:
    the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.

7. Stephen Hawking was a quantum scientists exploring the far reaches of the universe, the past, and the construction of our universe.

Philosophers used to talk about that stuff. They used to try and do what he did.

Perhaps he believes they can't serve a role in attempting to prove scientific theories, but I think philosophy about science is still relevant.

Especially when it comes to the ethics of research or discovery, to how new discoveries should be treated, to data management, etc.

I could only really agree with that statement if it was a narrow view of a type of philosophy.

JoyBoy likes this.
  8. “The unexamined life is not worth living.”
    Socrates
    Philosophy is on its last legs tbh. With the amount of social control all over the world free thinkers are frowned upon. In a way he’s right but it won’t die unless curiosity dies in humans. I say it’s on its last legs because most people are incapable of getting their head out of their ass long enough to try and read what these dead dudes were laying down. Philosophy also requires a level of critical thinking that a lotta people don’t want to try. 😗 we’re all just burning in a capitalist scheme to drain the Earth til we can move onto the next planet to repeat.

Kefo likes this.
  9. Philosophy allows us to examine life.

I couldn't imagine being someone who doesn't do that. 🙊 Who can't see themselves critically.

Reminds me of the viral response to the idea of an "inner monologue", and about how some people may lack it.
    I started an artwork recently and a theme I was trying to represent today was that of the story and text. I think it's innate and all people are aware of a story about themselves. That inner monologue is there but criticique and illumination is rarer.

As you said, that critique can also be of family, friends, politics, society, ideology, etc. And many do lack the commitment to practise that critical thinking that is a large part of philosophy.

Now I have to think of a largely recognizable and cross-cultural symbol for critique.

10. "the value of anything is how much it hurts"

But that value only becomes apparent afterwards, tinged with regret...

11. Lots of worthless bullies hurting a lot of people in the world. Idk about that one.

Muschi likes this.
  12. those bullies arent worthless, the world simply makes them believe they are. nobodys worthless. in fact, you can call a person worthless all you want but i bet theyll be meaningful once they aim a gun at you and end your life.

13. What the fuck kind of analogy is that

14. This is a great example of how forums have become DEAD.

15. U mad?

Muschi likes this.
  16. of course this was hard for YOU to understand

17. Bullies try to elevate their own self worth through this kind of logic but in fact negatively impact the world through it and place their value in the negative through their efforts.

Worthless was a tame description.

They have a lot of growing to do; especially the girls who ruin peoples' lives for years through social bullying, body shaming, and ostracization, often without recognition or recourse due to its low physical content.

This_Is_Jessie likes this.
  18. i like how you never even think about why they are bullies in the first place

19. A poor coping mechanisn is a poor coping mechanism. Their reason is ireelvant to the topic because we are talking about the effect of their actions on more than themselves.

20. I understood it. That doesn't mean I had to think it was a good analogy. 💝