Is it okay to talk about uncomfortable subjects in wc?

Discussion in 'Other PIMD Discussion' started by iTangerine, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Sorry to post about a tense topic, but I saw some people who were debating and discussing about the recent protests and things like that on wc. Inevitably, the topic of race popped up and was rather uncomfortable. It was a very intense conversation, I read along but I didn’t take part. I was just wondering if it’s appropriate, or should or shouldn’t be allowed to talk about harsh subjects like this that might make others uncomfortable. Don’t get too heated in the replies! :)

2. If im not mistaken as long as it doesn't distrupt the channel/break tou it should be fine.

3. I don’t think it’s inappropriate or anything, but I do believe there is an ideal time and place for some discussions.

As long as nothing in the conversation breaks the Terms of Use I see no major issue though.

4. Wtf why would speech be banned just because it makes you uncomfortable. Uninstall you book burning fool.

5. If people can discuss it in an adult manner, I think it is acceptable. I do know the term abortion is censored in-game, probably to prevent the debates about that since it's usually a very polarizing topic. But that's the only ~controversial~ topic I've seen be censored.

The debate, if it gets uncivil, will probably be shut down by a moderator. It's one of those things where a few bad apples will spoil the bunch. If a moderator says to stop discussing it, I would listen to them (you can always try again latter where there's likely a different group of people incl. moderators in pub). They want to prevent further escalation. The best way to deescalate would be to steer away from the topic. It's upsetting because these topics are important to discuss. There's just no guarantee everyone will be civil about it, and there's trolls that will purposely escalate the situation to goad people into breaking ToU so that the topic gets shut down before it can be productive.

6. Aids is censored

Maddi_Matsu and Muschi like this.
  7. Oh, yes I forgot that too. Serophobia is still super common. :/

Carrie and Maddi_Matsu like this.
  8. As long as they're being civil, I think you're allowed to talk about most things. If people talking about race makes you uncomfortable, maybe question yourself why.

9. Thanks for the replies. I thought it was fine too, but as the conversation went on it seemed to get more intense and controversial. It seemed more like a discussion for dms. It was just a bit weird to see actual interaction and engagement in wc, especially when it’s a tense conversation. I guess it comes down to personal preference on whether or not we want to read about political views in wc.

Maddi_Matsu and Muschi like this.
  10. Oh no actual conversations😱😱

MUCH better than the constant begging for gifts and rp imo🤷🏻‍♂️

Muschi and LetsGoBrandon like this.
  11. This thread is inappropriate for forums. OP's lobbying for censorship is making me uncomfortable.

I demand it is locked now because I don't want to read it.

-P_M-KingCantona likes this.
  12. Forums is an even better place to talk about those things

13. I find Perverts on the Chat uncomfort but I just ignore and avoide especially get super anoying when you see pedophiles. I love to see people talk a about serious topics but I hate those that don't agree and just insult Others whith no logical argument. If you don't agree bring a logical and respectful argument or ignore. We can be adults about it.

Muschi and Maddi_Matsu like this.