Suggestion: Dark Mode

Discussion in 'Questions/Feedback' started by ObelisktheTormentor, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Hi there.

I'm not sure if this has been suggested by anyone in any great detail in the past, not that I could find anyway. The only thread I did find was one named "Night mode suggestion" which had very little depth or detail to it so I'm going to suggest this mode "properly" and see what you guys think.

Here it goes, my suggestion is that ATA could implement a "dark mode" toggle/switch feature in 'settings' that would invert the white chat backgrounds of campus/tutor/pub/club chat, the forum, and possibly some elements of people's profiles (e.g home icon, notification icon..etc) that they deem suitable for change. I.e. change most of the white colours to the colour (or absence of colour if you want to be technical) black.

Since black text on black backgrounds would be impossible to read, obviously, they would also have to invert the text colour that is currently black, to white, or I was thinking, a light grey might be a possible good alternative. All the honour student blues, mod greens, dev reds, care package golds, dates.. etc would all remain the same. Just the main black/white features would be inverted.

Who would this benefit? Well, for people, including myself, who like to play the game in the comfort and darkness of their bedroom, find themselves locked in a dungeon, get trapped in the attic with no light... etc, all too often, and fancy playing some PIMD until dawn, or until rescue comes. I see a mode like this, that generally makes things easier on the ol' eyeballs for reading in the dark, to be very beneficial for eye care, by reducing the screen glare for everyone.

Once daylight comes or rescue comes for those dungeon and attic folk, the toggle option would be there to revert things back to how everything is as you see it now.

Will this really actually make any difference though? Yes it will, I currently switch to an inverted colour mode on my phone to read stories/texts at night time, I even have it on now, in game, typing out this post, the pros of this are that my eyes do feel much more at ease than when my phone is in "daytime mode".

My only problem is that everything gets inverted in this mode, when all colours are inverted, things tend to look very ghastly, the avatars look like phantoms and it's all a bit creepy... It's like a free, Halloween mode easter egg. Try it out and let me know what you think because with thanks to the help of our lovely ATA team, an official dark mode could resolve this issue{?} and make PIMD darker but in a much more pleasant way for us all. :D

Thank you for reading this, if you made it to the end. Show some support ...or not.

- Nate

Seriously, Celin, Carrie and 9 others like this.
  2. That’s an interesting idea. Have you tried suggesting it in a ticket too? 😮

3. If I’m given the option too I put everything I can in dark mode just cause I prefer the darker look (and the added benefit of not shocking my eyes at 3 am).

Seriously, Hera, bloodhoney and 5 others like this.
  4. I like the idea. I'm not sure if I would personally use it for PIMD. But it would be a nice option to have if possible. I usually use dark mode on apps that give you a choice. My phone has a dark mode but that only affects the phone's UI and doesn't invert anything on PIMD like yours does.

The only thing is that it wouldn't be possible in forums since ATA doesn't code that -- the forum host Xenforo would have to add that as a feature.

Seriously, Hera and Maddi_Matsu like this.
  5. Ran out of time to edit: while I said I wouldn't use dark mode for PIMD, I totally would use a forums dark mode if Xenforo adds it.

6. Support.

Would benefit a lot of people.

Carrie, LeeJarrett and Maddi_Matsu like this.
  7. No Dice basic Idea -

tru votes no

8. I honestly thought you were gonna say this was a stupid idea

LeeJarrett and Day like this.
  9. Support. It could be potentially very aesthetic 💙

10. There is nothing wrong with this idea and it's a simple fix for a big solution🤔
    I use dark mode on basically everything that has that option unless it looks retarded and is simply an inversion of all the colours.

I was going to say that this would be a feature that gets utilised by 50% of people... But it may honestly be way more.

So of course it's a good idea.

11. I want this it more easy read white words on black back ground n don't hurt as much coz not bright

Muschi and ThePhoenix2HisSloth like this.
  12. I haven't. Didn't even think to contact them directly, was just hoping they'd stumble upon this thread and contemplate it haha. I'll drop them a message in a bit and see what they say. Much appreciated! :)

Muschi and Maddi_Matsu like this.
  13. Say you made this thread n they will look it

Muschi and ObelisktheTormentor like this.
  14. Yes, it is very white here in the forums! The majority of my screen becomes black apart from a neon green post button and some glowing emoticons when inverted. Would be great for use in the forum, possibly as a beta mode before implemented for the whole of PIMD (Which you don't have to use ;)).

Carrie, Maddi_Matsu and Muschi like this.
  15. This would be amazing if ata would be able to implement it

16. yes yes yes👯🙌
    i would love a dark mode in here👌

& imo it doesnt necessary to be all black, might be a dark gray or diff shades of gray depends on which part of the game it is
    anw, i support this😎👌

17. Yes. I already use dark mode on everything and I would probably use it if it was implemented here, so why not. Black/dark grey is much more pleasing to look at and also saves battery life.

And it might not be relevant but I'd like to add that this is a well-written suggestion post. It presents what, how and why and it was also fun to read with the little jokes you sprinkled on it. Good one.

18. Agreed! I also appreciate how OP searched for similar suggestion post threads before posting this to make sure they weren't reposting a frequently discussed topic.

19. If the world switched to dark mode, we would save 500 gigawatts of electricity every year