COLLEGE MAJORS

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by shebeenafan, Jan 28, 2020.

1. So I was in university as a marketing major but I don’t really have a passion for it so I stopped going to uni & now im in a weird idk what to do with my life phase & I was thinking about working a nice paying job & living my life but now I kinda want to go back to uni but I want to major in something that’s in demand & is interesting ;(

I also low key feel like college is a financial scam (USA) but I know some degrees like nursing which I also don’t have a passion for can really pay off in the long run....

Anyways what’s you guys’ major & do you have any interesting recommendations?

2. I didn't go to university but anything tech nowadays will likely pay off in the long run.

I personally wouod probably hate nursing, the hours are usually shit and you deal with people constantly.

I think you gonna make a list of things you wouldn't want in a job and things you do want and base it around that.

Carrie and shebeenafan like this.
  3. It is, it’s barely affordable and those who manage to get in can’t even feed themselves.

shebeenafan and Muschi like this.
  4. I dropped out of college. I did 3 semesters at community college under the liberal arts program. I do enjoy writing but college was stressful and I don't think I really ended up wanting to have a career where I write...

Right now I've been working and I've been applying for jobs as a vet assistant at the moment. I want to work as one for a while and eventually get a certification to work as a vet technician.

5. I'm in my second semester as a biology major, and yeah, it all feels like a stressful scam to push people out of college and keep them poor with the debt and crappy jobs.

As a biology major, I have to take two physics, two calculus, and four chemistry classes... And maybe five biology. It's either continuously the same stuff with "harder" professors who barely give you the information or legit nothing related to your major or concentration.

6. I’m majoring journalism ... it’s not my first choice and hated it as time goes by I started to adapt with it

Carrie, Maddi_Matsu and shebeenafan like this.
  8. I like to read & draw

Carrie and shebeenafan like this.
  9. Yes tech would be really good & im good with computers I was looking at computer engineering & psychology I’m going over my school major list lol
    yes another reason I considered not going lol!
    omg I love animals that seems like an amazing field to go into & I know what you mean sometimes hobbies aren’t fun as a job😭
    ugh this was the worst! I just wanted to learn the stuff about my major & I had to take all the extra classes!!!
    I’m considering journalism tbh idk what I wanna do rn😂

Carrie and Muschi like this.
  10. I’m majoring in Economics and as the time goes I think I wanna switch to Finance but I can’t since my parents were the one who pay my tutorial fee🤦🏼‍♀️

11. Yes. I work with animals at the moment (daycare/boarding/grooming), which is part of what cemented my desire to continue working with them in a more career-oriented field. The other part was my dog Holly, who passed last January, and developed diabetes and blindness in her last year of life. She passed away practically in my arms. Bringing... comfort and allieviation of suffering to ailing animals is... something I am now very passionate about, to say the least, especially as I go through a similar journey with my other dog Scout.

Carrie, WhoTfIsWesday and shebeenafan like this.
  12. Omg I’m sorry to hear about your dog my dogs are definitely in my top 5 of fav things on this planet & idk how I’d feel without them😔 I’m happy you’re doing something you enjoy you’re inspiring me to do something I want to instead of have to lol! I just don’t know about uni I wish I could fast forward to the future to see what I’ll be doing lol

Carrie and Muschi like this.
  13. Dang I know college is expensive af so I see what you mean but if you REALLY REALLY don’t see yourself enjoying economics I would atleast open up the convo about switching just to make them think about it lol

14. I was doing engineering but quit it to study physics. Idk if it'll really pay off lol but I have a full scholarship so college isn't a financial burden for me

YourDailyDoseOf0rg-sm and Carrie like this.
  15. Thats cuz you go to a community college freak

16. I'm majoring in Environmental science and my advice would be to get an Associate's of Art's degree at a community college before transferring to a University.
    The first 2 years of your degree no matter what your majoring in is going to be generals. Most college's only accept a limited amount of credits when transferring over to a new school (60 credits).
    Apply for different internships related to the type of field you want to work in and look what type of higher education is needed (maybe it's a degree you never thought of!) I'm pretty sure you heard this before, but apply for scholarships/grants!! Regardless if you think you can get it or not. Hope this helps!! :)

Carrie, shebeenafan and Maddi_Matsu like this.
  17. I don't think community colleges hand out full scholarships?

18. Lol no, we don't have community colleges where I live

WhoTfIsWesday likes this.
  19. Where do you live?

20. In your basement

Carrie, Muschi and RoseMilkTea like this.