Veganism Q&A

Discussion in 'Other PIMD Discussion' started by Wesday, Apr 27, 2019.

1. I've already said pescetarianism is the most healthy diet for humans. The meat industry is not sustainable or environmentally friendly, so no. I don't see an issue with taking supplements. Omnivores actually should also be taking supplements, the majority of people are not getting all the vitamins in a day that they are supposed to and are deficient in something. The one way i could see meat being an okay and humane thing is "super meat" which actually is sustainable and much cheaper/better fir the environment. It's real meat but rejenerated like the way doctors will take some of your skin and have the cells multiply for ppl who need skin grafting. A lot of meat eaters are weirded out by that tho.

2. What about the abuse in the fish farming industry and the environmental concerns of over-fishing with wild-caught fish? Are fish somehow not meat and thus excluded with your claims that the meat industry is bad?

3. I was strictly speaking from a health point of view. I am clearly advocating for veganism. Way to ignore everything i said

4. I... understand that you're advocating for veganism and I get that.

I'm just speaking hypothetically if you had any ideas or had put any thought into these things as some form of ~*~compromise~*~ between vegans and non-vegans.

I'm genuinely curious and don't mean to come off as belligerant or whatever. I'm just trying to have an open dialogue like you suggested in the original post, and playing devil's advocate is one of the ways of having an open dialogue.

;_;

5. Are supplements vegan if it's a nutrient you can only get from animals?

6. B12 is made from bacteria. It thrives in animals which is why that's the only place it's naturally found, not because it's from the animal specifically. Scientists just grow this bacteria in labs to make the vegan supplement.

7. Okily doke. It came off a lil rude but i may have been reading into too much. I do take issue with fishing. There are studies that fish don't experience pain the same way we do which is a common argument by pescetarians. Personally, I think those studies are all speculation and am opposed to fishing.

8. I coukd never become Vegan/ Vegetarian :(

9. If it came off rude, then I'm sorry! And I think that's a weird argument. I don't think all animals experience pain the same, not even all of humans as one species experience pain the same. It's weird to single out fish as having a ~*~morally okay~*~ way of experiencing pain.

What is your opinion on eating insects as a form of nutrition? Besides it being culturally different from the west, I haven't much looked into whether there's an industry on it or what exactly health benefits are. I'm not even really sure how much "meat" is really on most insects.

10. ^ also weird to say that plants don't care about being killed because their feedback systems aren't based on animal cells (nerves).

11. Also a good point.

12. Idk if you remember but I made a thread some time ago about the health and environmental benefits of eating crickets. My opinion is that veganism is the most humane and best option. I do think that insects (specifically crickets since they have been well studied in this regard and they are one of the meatier bugs) would be a better alternative cows and chickens. It would still suck but crickets like being together in small spaces so it would be a much less traumatic life for them and they require much less water and food. The death would also be quicker. So my opinion is, not an ideal scenario but a better alternative.

13. Plants do not have sentience.

14. Sentience is a means to a more significant end, the instinct to survive, which all life has :)

You might call it a soul.

15. Idk about plants but:

Seasons don't fear the reaper
    Nor do the wind or the sun or the rain
    We should be like they are

Unfortunately all those things can kill plants and animals though

16. I've read there's already reaserchs towards that, and I wouldn't mind trying it or getting used to it.

17. Blue Öyster Cult :D
    Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool and something I wouldn't mind trying. As long as it seemed like the real deal, and wasn't obvious knock-off meat like with veggie burgers or tofu burgers. :(

18. I know this and I know they kill cats because of the this. Massive castration, I suggest. Not easy at all.
    But I understand in Australia extermination of wild cats is a minor wrong to save the environment, sadly. And if there's no better choice (for now) I can live with it.
    Massive adoption and massive castration would be the best, but with the problem as (I understand) it is, I think that's not enough.

Saving the cats and letting other species go towards extinction is by no means ethical nor convenient at all, either. It's a tough problem.

And about what animals to eat and what not, I'm very aware is absolutely cultural.

I believe (hindi?) religion consider cows sacred, so they would never eat them, and they're all vegetarian (not vegan, though) and some Asian countries eat cats ?, also we, Argentinians have a strong tradition of eating cows (and other farm animals). Cultural diversity.

I don't mean culture or tradition justifies anything. I'm absolutely against any sadism per se, such as the bull thing Spanish do or dog fights or rooster fights, all of them just for fun.

19. Just to add some cents, I think I can very well live without eating meat. But I love cow milk cheese. That'd be a very difficult thing tk quit, for me. I suppose, I could if I wanted.
    I don't eat meat very often, tbh. I hardly ever buy any meat (I do buy tons of tuna cans, though). If I eat meat, it's most likely because I'm invited to a BBQ event or if I dinner out (I'm a lazy cooker).

20. With that artificial meat, they can get the fat/muscle content right to indicate flavours of different cuts... Idk about grass-fed flavours and other intricacies that go into the flavour of meat tho.. The biggest issue for them is getting the grain of the meat right because it doesn't grow and get exercised the same as muscle.