Veganism Q&A

Discussion in 'Other PIMD Discussion' started by Wesday, Apr 27, 2019.

1. I am vegetarian and trying to be a vegan, I don't eat fake meat as I can easily live on a fruitarian diet like my entire life lol, I am involved with peta because I love animals and I strongly believe that their lives aren't ours to eat or experiment on.
    One of my favorite quotes is by Paul McCartney - " if slaughterhouses had glass walls everyone would be a vegetarian "
    Ps if you haven't I will recommend watching glass walls by peta, but I will warn you watch it at your own risk

2. There’s a big difference in keeping your old leather shoes and buying new items including animal products which are not necessary. They can be in the community it’s not black and white but it’s not vegan to buy and use animal products in any form if it’s not life threatening.

3. PETA is a horrible organization and actively harms animals. I suggest finding another organization to support.Here are just a few exposés.

4. I myself don't support euthanization and I believe it's cruel and unjustified, we can't decide whether an animal deserves to die or live. Peta in my country doesn't practice this so that's why I support them mostly because of their other contributions which however don't justify it

5. Re: Veganism Q

I want to be a vegan but food choices around me is very limited.

Plus I'm a breastfeeding mom. What foods can you recommend to me?

6. Re: Veganism Q

Rather than starting from the get-go, it's easier to limit your intake on animal products. Especially as a breastfeeding mother, you don’t have the option rn to get to know your body and find out how much calcium/b12/etc you would need to feel your best since u have to care for your kid's health too. It's better to wait til after before you start testing new things. Or consider pescetarianism until you aren’t breastfeeding anymore

7. 2nd-ed. Not a fan of PETA. They are also prone to bending the truth or creating science in an attempt to force veganism which i don't like. People should be getting a proper informed decision before switching. A good person for that sort of thing @anyonewhocares is the youtube "unnatural vegan." She keeps things strictly scientific and doesn't say things like ppl don't need protein

8. I never claimed it was. I just said that there were some vegans who did.

9. Interesting.

10. What do you eat for protien, calcium, and iron? How much of said foods must you eat to reach your RDAs?

11. Your views on antivenin? Made from Venom harvested from snakes.

12. Okay so if we hunt animals, that's okay.
    But we can't even milk a cow?

13. Wild cats predate many native species in Australia and you're considered a disgrace if you let your cat outside to hunt and live 'naturally'

Cats are an invasive species.

Afaik cats have no natural predators and aren't outmatched by many things in the food chain... So if anthing predated them, they would surely predate other things.
    Humans are literally the best answer to that problem and we would be remisce to waste the dead cats by not consuming them.

But this is a vegetarian issues, not vegan.?

14. The smart ones. Cheel.

15. Re: Veganism Q

When pregnant and gestating and providing your child with food, follow your gut and cravings. You should experiment with your diet when your kid isn't depriving their nutrients from you unless ur willing to take the risk of not giving them the right nutrition.

16. I hear that hummus is okay for protein
    Most beans and nuts (though i hear the nut industry is terribly unsustainable)
    are good for protein

There's also this plant called Malunggya or (westernized) Moriga or Drumstick Tree in the Philippines that gets eaten cause it's super rich in calcium and is consumed in place of milk. When I googled it just then, Okra had a similar concentration of calcium so that might be easier to get.

I believe Spinach is notoriously rich in Iron (500 grams of cooked spinach meets the RDI). But legumes work too (500 grams of lentils also work).
    250 grams of chickpeas will also set you at your RDI of Protein.

Vegans rarely get enough iron. It is possible but people ofte cop out and take supplements.

?I just googled all those iron content stats.

17. Yeah, I know you can get iron from broccoli and stuff. I was just figuring the amount you'd need to eat everyday would make your pee stink terribly. Same thing with getting all your protien from beans, that's a large commitment to bathroom time

Also your body doesn't absorb nutrients from supplements very well.

18. I like beans/lentils and bean products like hummus. Idk the exact amount but i feel healthy and my blood results are nice as long as i have a serving a day. For calcium, broccoli and leafy greens like spinach. There's also calcium fortified into almond milk. For iron, it's all in the beans/lentils/potatoes/bread/etc. Kefo is incorrect in his assumption about iron and vegans. The vitamins vegans really tend to have trouble with are calcium and b12 (which is a very specific protein that only comes from animals so it needs to be gotten in fortifed products or multivitamins). Personally, i take an iron supplement but i needed it before veganism, it's common problem for women in general.

19. cows are not meant to be in a permanent state of lactation. No one is.

20. If you're referring to the venom that is placed in horses and sheep and stuff to grow, it's abuse and speciest and I am not okay with it.