Children.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Muschi, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. With all the many new users who join and instantly post for inappropriate rp I’m sure plenty of them are kids themselves still. It’s not just older people doing it all so why not ban anyone who asks for anything remotely close to that kinda stuff? Anyone who posts in pub about it? Wipe out half of active pimd in a day? If you’re tryna give free pass to people who are old enough now but weren’t before, we gonna give free pass to other types of people too? It’s not ata fault if a kid downloads their app, they could do more to stop it but at the same time they shouldn’t have to. :?

2. I agree that more precautions need to be taken, as the material on this app really isn't suitable for children under the age of 17. I will admit I got this game when I was 16 years old ?, but that tends to happen when you're a kid who thinks she's some Billy Badass like I did. An age gate would be a good start even if it is pretty easy for many to bypass.

Hopefully ATA actually starts taking further precautions as to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future. Not allowing children on this app is for their own safety. I do feel there should maybe be way to disallow pedophiles from getting on this game for the children that do fall through the cracks, as that could help make this already toxic game a little less toxic for everyone else too.

Muschi likes this.
  3. i'm pretty sure they'd enter a date that makes them 17+ just because they can. every child i encounter nowadays is always lying about something, for no reason whatsoever. i don't personally care how it's done, as long as children aren't on the game. so, support.

Muschi likes this.
  4. I totally get this. When I was 16 and trying to download apps for 17+ all apple did to ‘prevent’ this was shove a popup in your face saying “this game is intended for people 17+” or something along those lines. And it had two buttons, one to continue and one to go back. If I wanted to play an app all I had to do is continue.

Granted, I’m sure that the popups are more for parents downloading apps for their kids, like a warning for the parents saying “this might be inappropriate”. And Apple is getting better with the family plan where the parent gets notified of everything the childern buy or download (if settings are set to that).

Muschi likes this.
  5. Apple and Google Play both have parental controls that parents could enable to prevent their children from downloading certain apps like PIMD, but unfortunately parents are too hands-off and are okay with having like 8 year olds have free roam of the internet.
    Why have it be a rule then if they don't enforce it?

And ATA already provides clemency. Your silence tiers go down in time without offenses, and mods and honor students can have previous silences.

6. SUPPORT!

Muschi likes this.
  7. So much support for this idea and this discussion is long overdue.

Muschi likes this.
  8. As I said, they shouldn’t have to. It’s not ata fault that players don’t follow rules and parents don’t enforce rules. This idea has been mentioned before and ata has changed age req. before as well, the intent and hope for all this is good but if anyone else posted this idea they’d get hammered with “no support” and hate for repeating an idea, just because you see this all working out doesn’t mean it’s worth pursuing. Ata says report users and they get silenced/banned, they don’t allow third party sharing for this reason..so they are enforcing it where they can. Why blame them when it’s users who are creating the issue? Go after everyone you see in pub rather than point blame at ata for every issue that goes on.

9. I do go after individual users. :•) I just don't make a public forum thread every time I confront someone.

10. hailey's snitch chat says hi

Muschi likes this.
  11. Support af!

Muschi likes this.
  12. Support!

Muschi likes this.
  13. Yes, 100%. The only hang up is that it's virtually impossible to properly enforce it. Anyone could lie about their age but I do suppose they would let it slip eventually? The forums arent COPPA friendly, neither are wc/pc/cc. I cringe when I see anyone here mention being under the appropriate age.

Muschi likes this.
  14. Years ago there was an 8 year old on here, joined the app and somehow found a club I owned and tried to rs me. Nobody came to her and nobody “groomed” her but she wanted to be rs and made up all these stories on how my rs wanted to leave me and all these lies, her idea of rs was actual dating so of course her messages were formed in that way. I told her many many times she shouldn’t be on the app and her response? “You’re not my parent” so with this topic you’re trying to parent people who don’t listen to irl parents ?

Even more recently I was in starter club there was a 10 year old, again wasn’t “groomed” and nobody came to her in a sexual way, she was told by a few people the rules and she ignored them, argued them, for all I know she still uses the app

Your ign alone is ironic for this topic of protecting kids from how sexual this app is, leading it to allow peds to thrive. You can’t really find a 100 member club without seeing a sexual ign..but yes darn ata fault

You bend the rule for current users who weren’t old enough when first joined, blame ata for not being ultra strict about age yet its users who are the issue here. You’re not doing any good with trying to control everything. Do you also wish to control the 17 users who harass others with sexual messages in pm? Why just protect kids? When this has worked just fine all these years ...

Which you even tried squeezing support out of, to benefit your message here.

In short blunt point, you wish to blame ata for not doing excessive protection and bend rules for friends and others to get a free pass, all in hopes to limit internet freedom for people in a society filled with sexual content regardless where you look. Ata gonna end up becoming the government of North Korea and other countries that limit internet access to things just because people can’t follow rules

? it’s great you wish to help and I’m all for protecting kids from peds, in the right setting and delivery. Which is in no way this.

15. I feel like it's mostly up to the parents. A lot of the 'age restriction' ideas would be easy to bypass. Parents just need to be more aware of wtf their kids are doing

Muschi likes this.
  16. @Anonymous

I've gotten responses of "You're not my parents" from kids I've tried to warn on here before. :•) I get it all the time and I did it to as a child. But those actions led to my own abuse. :•)

And I didn't try to 'squeeze support' out of it. I wanted to see to what extent she didn't support because I brought up two things. Was trying to find some common ground. Something we could agree on. :•) When she made herself clear, I no longer responded to tried to sway her.

I also brought up predators I have faced as an adult and mentioned this several times before incl. throughout this thread. I explained that my focus in the original post on this thread was because children are more vulnerable targets.

Part of the reason I'm "bending" the rule is because it follows ATA's current policy: if you stop commiting the offense, then you're good and you can be forgiven. And that there was a time when this app was 13+. So it gets complicated in trying to implicate users currently over the age limit.

My blame isn't solely on ATA. My very first sentence in this thread placed blame on parents. This isn't an outrageous measure. Lots of apps and games have this feature.

17. + I even said in this thread that it isn't the game mechanics, it's the community. So idk where you're getting the idea my blame is solely on ATA.

18. By saying ata needs to change their app to keep kids out, how ata doesn’t enforce the age gate etc. you’re putting blame on ata as a whole. You mention parents and community but the focus is on how ata should enforce the age and change their app in that way.

19. Because this is ATA's app. Why would I post an idea about how parents should enforce it here? I don't even have that idea yet, or an idea of what the community could do. This is an idea I had for ATA's end of it.

20. Of course
    And as I said, ata shouldn’t have to do more. They’ve made it 17
    They’ve said report minors
    They silence and ban
    Don’t allow third party talk

Why should they have to do even more?

Say they do this and minors can’t get on, you think that’ll stop the issue fully? It’ll just be peds going after anything they can.

Nearly 8 years into the app this is still where things are, not the best but it’s a well working system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.