Nervous AF

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Victoria, Sep 17, 2018.

• Hey all,
      Im going back to school this year. Sort of. I'm taking a semester of night classes for a wine certification. Got a big ol' test in December that could really determine the future of my career.

I haven't taken any classes or tests in... 4+ years? I went to college originally on a full ride academic scholarship for Anthropology, and it did not work out. :lol: So I'm nervous AF.

Has anyone else gone to school after taking a break?
      Where you nervous?
      How did it go?
      Any tips for someone who's full on 'adulting' on juggling classes too?

Thanks ?
      • x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x
        -Victoria

1. Ahhh good luck!

2. Mmm. I took off school from 16-19 and i didn't have too much difficulty going back. I skip a lot of classes which u probably can’t do since it's a certification and more important to be there. Tbh it shouldn't be too bad. I hate talking to first years cuz it's like talking a bratty high school student but everyone else is a proper adult. I'm assuming there probs won't be many if any straight out of high school students at your certification thing.

3. They say you should study things you’ll be having to learn about before you actually start going, as a refresh before it matters

4. How the hell do you get a wine certification??

5. Better

6. There's certificates for all sorts of stuff tbh. You can get a certificate in almost anything you want.

7. It's a thing. They call them a big long word that starts with an s that I'll never be able to spell. They get jobs at fancy restaurants recommending wine that will pair well with your meal. Or sometimes at wineries telling you all about the different wines they have.

I wasn't full on adulting during college, but I did work full time and lived off campus. Tips I learned were, take a day you don't have school off work. Always leave yourself a day to catch up on drs appointments, errands, and sleep. And it's okay to say no when your class wants to go out drinking after class, culinary kids like to drink...a lot.

8. Also stay away from the druggies, there are lots of druggies in the restaurant business.

9. i went on and off school during college and i was a little nerve wrecking when everyone you know already graduated. just be yourself and try to make friends if not then focus on your studies. youll get along with your classmates as time goes by

10. “Cute date, kinda nervous” trend

11. In my toes tbh

12. 16-19 as in age? If so did you drop out of high school?

• Thank you for wishing me good luck, Hailey, and all of the advice you've all given me so far. :)

Naw Wednesday, none fresh out of high school thank goodness. No shenanigans in class.

Wine certifications can be taken by anyone really. You just take the classes and the test. They do have varying levels. The s word Julie is talking about it sommelier, which is one of the most difficult ones. Master Somms can blindly taste almost any wine and tell you everything about it as long as what food it should be paired with. Im doing one that's a little less intense and more for the distribution side of wine than restaurant floor side.

Yes, yes, we do drink a lot in the industry, Julie. :lol: And there are a lot of druggies. :( Luckily though, you typically deal with less druggies as you climb the ladder though.

:lol: @Flocci Just yours toes, huh? Mine likes to hang out in my elbows.

No James. Stahp being boring.
        -Victoria

13. The distribution end sounds like a good choice. No night shifts. That's awesome, good luck!

14. Canadian school system and the UK school system finishes "high school" equivalent at 16, I believe.

15. That’s lame! Schools probably say sorry for not going longer though

• Yeah! My hours are more like office hours, and they're more similar to my SO's hours. I much prefer not working the late nights and weekends, and all holidays.

School over at 16? Idk how I would feel about that. It makes sense to me with the way our society is that we graduate at 18.
      The drinking age on the other hand, does not.
        -Victoria

16. DOOD I LOVE ANTHROPOLOGY

also the word is sommelier @Julie

You can also become a certified water sommelier.

• Anthropology was a lot of fun to study; I really enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised who well it complimented wine studies.

Can you really?? I knew they had water tastings; didn't know you could actually get certified in it. :lol: I find that hilarious.
        -Victoria