BREXIT

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VanceWilderRebornAgain, Jun 24, 2016.

1. it's a short term loss for a long term gain, essentially.

2. Can you explain the long term gain aspect? England isn't really a great source of economic wealth in Europe (at least from what I've seen in my lifetime). That title has fallen to Germany multiple times. Again I could just be missing something.

3. Care to explain how??

4. Soon Scotland will ask for a referendum and break away from England.

5. that's actually part of the reason! germany's financial control of the EU is the reason for greece's economic state, and britain would ultimately have fallen to the same fate had they remained restricted by the EU.

each country has strengths + weaknesses, but they arent addressed by the EU because it's run to the standard of what benefits the rich - germany - and doesn't take the countries with less manufacturing etc into consideration. ie the 2008 crash made greece suffer hugely, but not germany, because of the union being run for the strong and disregarding the weak. pensions in greece were abolished (at the demand of germany) so the money could be taken by banks to pay their "debt" to germany (not going to get into the fact that war reparations suddenly went poof lol).

in a proper union, poor countries are supported by wealthy - not "leant" money and then held at ransom by the country that leant it to them. as an example, in canada, if one of our provinces is struggling, we help them and their people financially without demanding the money be paid back to the rich provinces at the expense of the people - with the understanding that when the struggling province gets back on its feet, it will contribute equally.

essentially, the EU is run for the rich and consistently screws over anyone not on top, because the people are second to the money. britain will right itself after the initial economic blow, and has saved itself from the restrictions and demands of the EU/germany that would eventually have destroyed its economy anyway. btw, the pound would have plummeted regardless of the results of the referendum! idk why everyone is acting like thats a reason to have stayed

+ rn, spain is as vulnerable as greece was and needs to get out next, but it will be much harder for them because theyre on the euro as opposed to the pound as britain is

6. tldr; germany controls the EU and runs it only for the benefit of itself, britain would have gotten screwed over like greece, now they'll be okay once they get their heads above water

7. As long as none of this affects Game Of Thrones,(go google how it does...) I don't give a damm!

8. Oh so it only benefits the rich ie Germany, then how is it that the rich countries ie Germany France England pay in the most to the eu budget with the proper countries paying in the least but the poorer countries get more grants than the richer

Got to love how someone in Canada is telling me living in England I'm better off lol

9. yes, the rich countries pay in more, and the money benefits themselves. please explain greece's situation and the consequent demands of germany, if germany is apparently helping the poor countries...?

the condescension is unnecessary  where i live doesn't make my research (and literal history) invalid.

10. And as for the pound plummeting whatever the result of the vote. Sorry but you're talking complete rubbish.
    No way would it have fallen to it's lowest level since 1985 if it had been a yes vote

11. The demographics of who voted leave and who voted remain make it pretty clear this is nothing more than an ordinary protestvote against the elite and a xenophobic reaction to immigration.

Gotta love the irony of English people being fed up of non-domestic influence tho.

12. This is why I hate history... Just leads to more n more problems

13. the pound was dropping before the vote results even came in, so i'm not sure what your basis is for that...? yea, it wouldnt have dropped as quickly or quite as much, but it definitely would have been hit hard. that's all irrelevant tho, because the pound dropping isn't even a bad thing in the long run either. you're very focused on the short-term. the pound dropping = huge increase in exports. it also means that with higher priced imports, local manufacturing will increase, subsequently increasing both local revenue AND employment rates.

14. I'm not very educated on the subject, but really? They won this due to xenophobia, lost their PM, claim they won this without a single shot fired but Jo Cox died? ? their economy has crashed badly. Also, they're upset because others from the eu come and take their jobs lol? Don't it remind you of some people here in the US? ? like father, like son. They basically birthed America and now they're going through the same thing lol. that's just how I see it, correct me if I'm wrong. 

15. ur wrong, im correcting u

16. Give me my correction on what I said then 

17. Definitely a bad day for the "United" Kingdom :(

18. people dont want to stop immigration (generally; obviously there's always racists in the bunch), and leaving the EU isnt going to do that in any way. migrants already in the UK are staying put. the borders will not close.

most who voted leave did so for an understanding of the economic side of things; those (educated) that voted re:immigration simply want a more sensible immigration system. some prefer that migrants bring relevant skills to the country, rather than allowing literally anyone who wants to come (canada has a similar system in place which has worked extremely well for us)

since ive opened myself for critique on the subject: i am an extreme proponant for allowing anyone to migrate anywhere, if im going to be honest. i believe anyone has the right to become a citizen of any country they so desire, so long as they do not pose a threat to said country. i also recognize that this is not feasible in the world atm. needless to say, i do not believe leaving the EU is a xenophobic act or will have harmful results for migrants, HOWEVER, i understand that yes, some people did vote out of racism and xenophobia (no, that does not mean it would have been better to stay)

just for reference:
    "No one has ever suggested there is going to be no immigration. [...] If people watching think that they have voted and there is now going to be zero immigration from the EU they are going to be disappointed. [...] Of course there is still going to be immigration. There are still going to be people coming here to work and you will look in vain for anything the Leave campaign said at any point that suggested there would be any kind of border closure or pulling up of the drawbridge. All we're asking for is some control over roughly who comes in." --Tory MEP Daniel Hannan, this morning on BBC

+why are you acting like losing cameron was a bad thing :lol:

yes, she was killed, and it was horrible; that doesnt change the effect the referendum has.

19. He's correct Kitty, you're wrong. This referendum wasn't won or lost on logical rational financial arguments or even anything remotely worthwhile. It was won by the leave campaign creating fear and hate towards people non British. All that garbage talk of we are being overrun by foreigners, they're ruining the health service, taking our jobs etc etc etc

Trust me I know I live here and experienced it day by day not viewed it all on a tv set or read about it on the net thousands of miles away

20. OMG Kitty do you even know what you're talking about lmao
    Have you heard of farage???????? Lol