Truth Behind the World Cup

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by beyondmeasure, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Lets not start the discussion abt the American military getting involved in different conflicts please lol... nothing wallace said even says that he supports those decisions (the opposite seems to be true actually), and so going there would just derail this thread :/

Anyway, I think soccer/ football and sports in general are great for a number of reasons. The success of national teams does a lot for people psychologically and in terms of nationalism. But when stuff like the world cup comes at the expense of the *majority* of Brazilians (which already has class issues due to skin color), it makes it hard trying to figure out what to do.

2. ...Just because american government gets involved in other countries trying to gain/help something, it doesn't individually effect you as an American...

3. I'm hoping for the sake of the situation in Brazil that they stay in the Cup for as long as possible. Go out in the second round and there may well be riots.

4. I was watching Belgium v Algeria yesterday. I had gone for pizza and it was on. Honestly, it didn't really do much for me, although I understood it better than the SuperBowl.

NASCAR/IndyCar will always be my preference. 

5. ★ hmm I never though on that way 

6. I heard after every match, the teams make-out in the locker room  Now I understand what they mean when they say World Cup Fever.

7. I agree with this. However Brazil are hopeing to get more money back into the economy than they spent. They had to knock down and clear the slums near the stadium for tourist safety.
    If tourists came for the world cup and some were robbed, killed, raped, abducted etc. That would be very bad publicity for Rio and after the world cup ended, That reputation would worsen with age.

Although it is not fair for the families who are not commiting crimes, it is not fair to put others at risk.
    And the favelas are easy to assemble, and are made out from scrap materials, although unnecessery hastle for the people, its a lot cheaper for Rio to move the slums and hope to better itself in the futer with profit made from Football, than having to pay for tourists care if injured by the people of Brazil

8. It's all well and good being cheap, easy to assemble etc but if they aren't building them adequate replacements, which as far as I know they haven't, then it's hardly sending the right message to the Brazilian people. It'd be interesting to see what the majority of Brazil get out of this once it all finishes. You only need to look at the crowds to realise that the vast majority of Brazilian fans attending are white, the richer segment of their population. I just think it could have gone to a country with less issues that already had the facilities to host it.

9. ^ Everything u just said is true and I agree. But idk. Then we'd probably only see these events in rich countries. Its sad bc i feel like this would be a problem everywhere no matter what. Maybe not the issue w the favelas per se, but that the poor will suffer for the sake of tourism and the enjoyment of the richer classes. If the world cup was in America, maybe they wouldnt tear down ppls homes, but the prices of public transportation, services, etc would skyrocket which would also impact the poor.

10. That's very true. It is good to see the World Cup being played all over the world, both rich and poor. Good debate though, it's rare on here!

11. Australian like it fast

12. You do realize that FIFA didn't pick to go to Brazil right? Let me explain to you how the world cup works. So a few countries decide to bid and then the highest bidder gets to host the games.

Brazil choose this themselves and honestly if you are now just realizing Brazil's problems, it shows you're pretty ignorant.

Oh, and one more thing. All the money the game makes actually goes to Brazil so in all honest is it really that bad?

Last one and I'm done, but how can you blame a simple sport for the problem of a country, no one complains about the supper bowl which is hosted everyday while thousands of Americans are evicted out of tgier homes. No one cares that these "football" players get paid more than the person who works to take care of their family, no one complains about that so what's the doffrence here?

13. Um ur ignorance is showing actually bc Brazilians themselves did NOT choose to have the world cup there. Politicians etc-- all from the HIGHER classes were a part of the process. Thats number one. No one even blamed Fifa so idk y u felt the need to say that. Brazilians from the lower classes and students were in the streets protesting to keep the world cup OUT of their country. They went ignored.

Also, again ure ignorant in thinking ALL the money goes to Brazil. Again, that money will not trickle down to then HELP those being affected by world cup preparations etc. Maybe u should read up on this. Whatever money is made will not reach the poor. And if u need I can go into more detail about what that money will become after the tournament

14. And that's where you're wrong love, I did say that Brazil choose the world cup to come, but yo are eight the lower class and no input because that was the government's decision. Also when I said the money went back to Brazil I'm aware that the government has it and will use maybe not for the people but it'll be used.

You and I are arguing the same thing, except we have a different source of the evil, yours is FIFA and mine is the government. Because you honestly can't blame FIFA for something that has been going on for years.

15. How is mine fifa?? Nowhere did I say that. No one said that in fact

16. Thats a poem

17. That's what this post is about, FIFA. But I'm going to stop arguing this, we all have our own opinions.

18. Qatar 2022