Gross.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NurseBecky, Jul 31, 2020.

1. This sounds to me like the responses of people who are guilty of doing exactly what I was talking about. 🤷🏻‍♀️

2. This sounds to me like someone who considers themselves so right in knowing what is/isn't right about someone else's experience that they would actively strike down and out those of others.

You remind me of the worst kind of person to discuss things with because you are so sure in yourself and lack the humility to see the other side.

How could you EVER know what anybody experiences when you carry on like this? Certainly.

Muschi likes this.
  3. Congratulations, you've won. You're suffering is by far the worst and most valid. We shall invalidate strangers and assume they have no idea on said topic and just base all their opinions from memes they saw on the internet.
    [​IMG]

4. My initial response I stated it wasn’t worth the argument, as in there’s no point starting an argument, because maybe they just don’t know what those things look like from the inside..
    I stated that the BLM thread was not the place to discuss things unrelated to BLM. ie. poverty, addiction and mental illness.

The problem I had, was the post implying that people are criminalized simply for being in poverty, being an addict, or having a mental illness. Because that is not true. If it were, there would not be state programs to help low income people pay for mental health counseling, and medication.
    There would not be rehabilitation programs, or talks of introducing “safe use” areas that have been implemented in other countries.
    There would not be homeless shelters, section 8 housing, or programs like habitat for humanity.

My problem was the statement that imprisonment doesn’t fix poverty, addiction, and mental illness. It’s not supposed to fix it. Experiencing hardships does not offer a free pass to break laws. And a free pass doesn’t fix the problems either.

5. 😑🤯

RoseMilkTea likes this.
  6. Nowhere did I say that it shouldn't be criminalized, either, or that people shouldn't face punishment for breaking the law. I'm just saying jailtime doesn't solve addiction/homelessness/mental illness, because someone else was saying that the presence of police is what solves it. Programs like the ones you are discussing are the ones that help homeless people not be homeless, and addicts and the mentally ill get access to treatment. The police don't do that. Jailtime doesn't do those. Someone was claiming that was what the police do and I was saying that that is not what the police are there for.

Also these things can relate to BLM. There are black homeless people, black addicts, black mentally ill people... and the discussion of defunding the police affects those populations regardless of whether or not they are inherently black or not. It wasn't directly related, but it was a natural progression of the conversation that had been taking place.

RoseMilkTea likes this.
  7. I stand by my opinions. I've assumed you haven't been through anything, you've done the same. To apparently 80% of the people here as per this thread.

We will agree to disagree on this topic. No use kicking a dead horse when neither of us will budge.

Muschi likes this.
  8. What?

9. Can I get a quick rundown of what we're fighting about in this thread?

Victoria likes this.
  10. And they don’t arrest people for being homeless? So again I have to say I think the post missed the mark. And we’re back where we started.

11. Someone in the BLM thread disagreed with defunding the police because the police help solve gang violence and mental illness and issues like that. I posted a graphic saying they don't solve those things, only impose jailtime on those populations for associated crimes (trespassing and drug possession for example). OP didn't like my graphic and is claiming that I (or @RoseMilkTea who agreed with me) must not have experienced homelessness, poverty, or mental illness or else I would not have my opinions. I disagreed and said they shouldn't assume my experiences. Then they made this thread. I think they misunderstood what my graphic was implying and the contextual conversation I used it in.

Maddi_Matsu and LetsGoBrandon like this.
  12. wait. so how have i related to anyone? i dont remember 🤔

13. The topic of poverty addiction and mental illness being criminalized was brought up on the BLM thread where I said I didn’t think that was the place to get into those topics

14. I have no issue with you disagreeing with me or having a different viewpoint on what constitutes as a criminalization of homelessness (which, is some jurisdictions, there are).

My sole issue lies with you assuming I (and others) cannot have experienced or know someone personally that has experienced homelessness, poverty, and/or mental illness because of my opinions.

Your difference in opinion: 👍
    How you responded to the difference: ❌

Victoria, Maddi_Matsu and RoseMilkTea like this.
  15. LetsGoBrandon likes this.
  16. I’m not even entirely sure what your opinion is here? The problem I have is being told I’m ignorant? Lol on three subjects that hit very, very close to home for me. Because apparently you know some shit that the people who have been through it don’t. Idk.

17. Everything that affects the lives of African-Americans is related to "BLM" in the current discourse. Their charter is currently irrelevant as everyone conflates them as

THE THING WHICH SUPPORTS African-American RIGHT and WELLBEING.

18. Your experience does not make you an authority; it makes you biased.

Anecdotes are worth LESS than data.

Muschi likes this.
  19. My response to the difference in opinion came because those 3 things are subjects I have unfortunately had a lot of experience with, and I get a little irritated when I see people discuss them in a way that indicates to me that they don’t really know wtf is going on there. And then to be called ignorant, not by you, really flared that.

Muschi likes this.
  20. My experience with a problem makes me biased on how to fix said problem, of which I’ve experienced...? Should we not consider the experiences of people who have actually dealt with things? Because I know when I have a problem I need help fixing, I ask someone who’s been there. I’m not claiming to be an authority, the issue I’m having is other people claiming to be authorities over those who have actually experienced it.