Tips

Discussion in 'Other PIMD Discussion' started by Wesday, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Tell me your thoughts on tipping culture. Do you tip? Who do you tip, how much, what is your opinion on it.

2. I tip $5 minimum if it's low quality service. My boyfriend and I go out to this sushi place for dates and we get the same waitress all the time, so we've made a really great relationship with her and it's always a good experience if she's working that day. We tip her a good $15-20 each time we visit.

3. I tip entirely depending on service, so even if the quality of the food was great I personally don’t tip more that 10% unless the waiter actually made an effort to say something nice.

I feel like this sounds a bit lame, but I’m a college student 🥺 I can’t tip everyone.

Wesday likes this.
  4. In most Asian cultures, tipping is not custom. (Some would even feel weirded out by tipping, and ask you why lol) In some cases the establishment will charge you service fee added to your bill.

I liked getting tips when I was bartending back in uni, but I don’t have any preference really.

Jaey likes this.
  5. Oh yes! It’s like this in Japan. In some areas when I visited, they even can get a bit offended by tipping.

Jaey likes this.
  6. My mom worked as a hairdresser for 26 years. We, as a family, relied heavily on her tips as that's where the bulk of her income came from.

I tip at least 20%, but usually closer to probably 33% of the bill, regardless of how I feel about the service I received.

I tip waitstaff mostly. I encourage people to tip their hairdressers although I personally have not seen a hairdresser other than my mom, and I don't need to tip my mom.

My job receives tips, although we don't get them very often. The professional groomer gets most of the tips instead of regular staff members.

All that being said, I don't like the idea of tips and think that a gratuity cost should automatically be factored into the cost of the meal, or hairstyling, or whatever it is. I heard that that's what it is in Europe (or at least parts of it).

Wesday likes this.
  7. If you’re in a restaurant then definitely tip 10% of bill with minimum being $5

8. I usually tip around 15-20% even tho good servers are rare and I think tipping culture is terrible (it puts paying hired employees their wages on the customer when it should be on their boss. And they're literally just doing their job, most of them aren't special). I also tip hair dressers, tattoo artists, cab drivers, delivery drivers...if I'm at a fast food place and the debit machine prompts a tip tho and tries to force me when all they did was input my order I put zero dollars in.

9. Does the fast food tip go to the cashier or the cook tho? I can understand not tipping the cashier but I feel like I would tip if it went to the cook

10. I have no clue tbh. Unlikely that it goes to the cook, though, unless they're shared tips. But even then, it would depend on the type of cooking for me to wanna tip. If it's the sort of fast food place that heats up frozen things I just find it kinda ludicrous to ask for tips

Muschi likes this.
  11. True, true. I've never gotten a prompt for tips at a fast food joint tbh. I wonder if it's a Canadian thing?

12. I've only ever seen it a couple times, it's uncommon but I am shock when it happens

13. Just the tip?

14. Tips aren't really prompted here esp to fast food places. When I pay in cash, I leave the change (if there's any) but honestly it all depends with the service. Usually 10% - to drivers, delivery peeps, etc. My barber gets a fixed amount of tip tho.

Nemo likes this.
  15. I pay for the service and the product in the bill.

If the service is good, I guess the bill was large enough that the business could get polite staff.

16. 🌚

17. I always tip but, if service is bad, I'll only tip 15%. I was a waitress for a short stint and the majority of the money I made was from tips so they really rely on them.

18. 20% or more for good service.
    Less than 10% for sub par..

19. I live in the US, and I know every country have their own cultures around tipping. My family is in the restaurant/food industry; most of my jobs have been in the industry, so I understand how important tipping can be. Hourly wage for a waitress in Texas is $2.15/hr. For years, most of my money came from those 10-20% tips customers would leave. When I left waitressing, I averaged $20/hr after a percentage of my tips was taken out for the bartender and, sometimes depending on the restaurant, the kitchen staff.

I have a love/hate release with tipping. I don't think the customer should feel obligated to decide a worker's worth in their establishment. I think that the burden of deciding a living wage and factoring the costs of full time employees making a living wage should fall on the owners, not the customers trying to enjoy themselves.

That said, I also understand that atm, that's not how it is here. I decide on a tip based on the situation. Full service restaurants, I usually start at 15% and go up/down based on service landing somewhere between 10-20%. After that, it depends. I have a good understanding of the inner workings of restaurants and know how many of the employees are paid. I have trouble convincing myself that a cashier making and average of $9/hr deserves the same 20% as that waiter making $2.15/hr. At base, they're doing less work for an already higher wage. Usually, I tip an average of 10% for those "other" categories like cashier, delivery driver, Uber, et cet.

20. Tipping is not allowed here :/