BE AWARE: JANUARY PART ONE

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -I-AmLadyDynamite, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Be Aware: January: Part 1

When people think of January, they mostly think about how they can start on their resolutions... tomorrow... or how cold and snowy it may be (TAKE ME SOMEWHERE WARM). Some players may even be preparing for a January graduation. There are many who do not give any thought to causes this time of year, and I hope to remedy that.

Bath Safety Month: Slips, falls and hot-water burns are accounted as the prime reasons for accident in the bath. It is the second leading cause of accidental death and disability.

A Few Facts about Bath Accidents:
    • A report submitted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission sites that, in the United States, an average of 370 people (across all age groups), suffer bathtub or shower-related injuries every day. (2014)

What You Can Do:
    • Identify areas that are slippery.
    • Check if you have any fixtures in the bath that are difficult to reach, use or clean.
    • Tailor the areas of the bathroom for individual needs:
      • Handles or shower chairs for the elderly
      • Non-slip step stools and seat converters for children
      • Not slip bath mats and floor mats
    • Keep the floor clean and dry
    • Keep electrical devices away from water sources
    • Use door locks that can be unlocked from both sides- so you can help someone who has been injured.
    • Never leave a child unattended while in the bath.

Cervical Health Awareness: Cervical cancer is a disease that starts in the cervix, the lower, narrow end of the uterus. It is almost always caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). HPV is a common virus that can be passed from one person to another during adult relations.

A Few Facts about Cervical Cancer:
    • All women are at risk for cervical cancer, however it most often occurs in women over age 30.
    • While men cannot develop cervical cancer (for obvious reasons), they can, however, spread the HPV virus like any other STD, thus putting their partners at risk to develop cancer.
    • About 79 million Americans currently have HPV. Many people with HPV don’t know they are infected.
    • n most cases, cervical cancer does not cause noticeable symptoms in the early stages of the disease. Routine Pap screening is important to check for abnormal cells in the cervix, so they can be monitored and treated as early as possible. Most women are advised to get a Pap test starting at age 21.

Types of Cervical Cancer: There are two main types of cervical cancer: squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma. Each one is distinguished by the appearance of cells under a microscope.

Squamous cell carcinomas begin in the thin, flat cells that line the bottom of the cervix. This type of cervical cancer accounts for 80 to 90 percent of cervical cancers. Adenocarcinomas develop in the glandular cells that line the upper portion of the cervix. These cancers make up 10 to 20 percent of cervical cancers. Sometimes, both types of cells are involved in cervical cancer. Other types of cancer can develop in the cervix, but these are rare.

Metastatic cervical cancer is cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.

What You Can Do:
    • Two screening tests help prevent cervical cancer -- the Pap test and the HPV test.
    • Cervical cancer can also be prevented by the HPV vaccines, which protect against the types of HPV that most commonly cause cervical cancer.
    • Routine HPV vaccination is recommended for girls and boys at age 11 or 12 years. Vaccination also is recommended for females through age 26 years and for males through age 21 years who have not been vaccinated previously. ***There are some controversy in HPV vaccines, Guardasil actually has lawsuits against it for complications. HPV vaccines wear off over time so it's important to get them routinely if it is an avenue you decide is right for you. Be sure to discuss your options and the risks with your doctor.
    • Help fund research for earlier detection.
    • Share information with your loved ones.

Self-Defense Awareness Month: Though it is unlikely you will get attacked, it's best to learn how to defend yourself should you fall into the small percentage of those attacked this year.

A Few Facts about Personal Attacks:
    • 1 out of every 6 American Women has been the victim of an attempted or completed sexual assaults in her lifetime.
    • 17.7 million American Women have been the victims of attempted or completed sexual assault.
    • 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually assaulted by the age of 18.
    • Females ages 12-24 are at the greatest risk for experiencing a sexual assault.

What You Can Do:
    • Self-Defense classes are great for anyone to take but they are especially good for women and teens.Self-defense classes are more important than just learning how to fight, self-defense classes are for teaching you how to protect and keep yourself safe.
    • Use the buddy system: you are less likely to be attacked if you are not alone.
    • Stay alert: don't be on your cellphone or with your mp3 player blasting in your ears. Keep your eyes moving around you, and always listen for approaching steps.

2. Can't tell if this is a joke or not...

3. Pretty sure most of this is common sense...the people who don't figure this out on their own...hopefully natural selection occurs.

4. I don't get it

5. Legit big fail

6. I am now aware

7. EDIT
    ***There are some controversy in HPV vaccines, Guardasil actually has lawsuits against it for complications. HPV vaccines wear off over time so it's important to get them routinely if it is an avenue you decide is right for you. Be sure to discuss your options and the risks with your doctor.

8. Great as always?

9. All you need for bath safety is a set of adhesive duck-shaped traction stickers stuck to the floor of your tub...everyone knows that!!!

10. Nice thread. Awareness raised on the bath issue. Growing up I heard many of my friends telling stories of how they had been injured in the bath room.
    Cervical cancer is just another cancer in my eyes. Aren't they all the same just in different regions and effecting different cell/tissue types?
    And I agree. In our incredibly violent culture a bit of knowledge of the martial arts and self defence is needed in order tone naturally selected. Then ago if a woman doesn't defend herself due to weakness, natural selection at find her. Abort the ugly men.

11. I had a glass ashtray thrown at me while In the shower, if that counts :?
    **injured**

12. 1) Summer here.
    2) HPV vaccine here is too expensive and sadly not free for everyone :cry:. When I asked about hpv tests, drs dismissed me. Pap is all we have u.u.

13. Well done. Very polished looking as well.

14. All vaccines are "controversial" because people are idiots ?.

Vaccinate yo self