[BBCode] Anchoring

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Rynnethia, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Special thanks to Benzophenone for helping me figure the trick.

So, ya'll know I like to code.

I'd like to tell you guys today about something called Anchoring (kinda). Would you like to learn?
    Yes     No   No support.

2. Oh, you'd like to learn, that's great!

Anchoring, in reality, is not something new to you.

Take for example, a digital Table of Contents. You click on the topic that you'd like to know about, and it'll bring you towards that section automatically.

How about another example? A Choose Your Own Adventure thread! Instead of making someone click the thread page  themselves, you could link them to that page, all with the click of a button!

Now, I prefer to call this trick a "semi-anchor". In reality, "anchoring" is a term coined for directing the readers to a different part of the same post. What I am doing is directing you to a different post and flooding my thread in the process.

Sounds cool? Would you like to learn more?
    Yes, please!
    No, I know how the trick goes.

3. To do this trick, you need to know how to get the forum link of a thread first.

To do so, simply head to the Forums on your mobile browser, open the thread you'd like to link, and copy the link from your browser!

Now, we need one last knowledge to execute this trick: Post Number counting.

The very first post on this thread, is post #0. Then, slowly count each post, and you'll find out what it's Post Number is.

Give it a try! Click here to go back to the very top of the thread and start counting.

What post number is this post?

#5 or #6

4. Bingo! You've got it right!

Guideline to Post Number counting
    Page #1 has Post # 0-9
    Page #2 has Post # 10-19
    Page #10 has Post # 90-99
    Page #100 has Post # 990-999

Do you see the trick? The last post number in that page is always:
    [(page number) x 10] - 1

Now, here's the final step of the trick. You take that forum link that you have copied, and the post number of the post you'd like to link to, and combine them like so!
    Code:

(forum link)&start=(post number) 

And that's it! Simply link it with your usual tag, and you're good to go! Here...viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136349&start=9]This one!
    Code:
    [url=http://forum.partyinmydorm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136349&sid=8e48e64796807a2ce87957c66edd70e1&start=9]This one! [/url]
    No, this one!
    Code:
    [url]http://forum.partyinmydorm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136349&sid=8e48e64796807a2ce87957c66edd70e1&start=9]No, this one! [/url]

5. You've got it! Hurrah!

Thank you for reading it this far, even though I somewhat forced you to!

I hope that you can try to use semi-anchors to your advantage, or you can simply keep it at the back of your mind!

Bai now!

Click here to go back to where you came from!

6. You should do a choose your own story adventure game like bandersnatch but not really

7. How did you find out about this code? ;-;

8. Woah. Me likey.